View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I think the wheel base of the scooters is too short to fit everything in. You would have to put foot pegs on the front axle to get any foot forward position. A chain drive motorcycle would be much easier to fit to a motor.

You could ride it on gas for a summer to make sure you like it before sinking any money into the project.
That's pretty much the plan. The height should be a helmets clearance above the top of the scooter. Which will make for a small frontal area and less side area for cross wind stability. I'm hoping the extra weight will stabilize the vehicle. 3-5kwh to start, 7 kwh max,. I could experiment by mounting battery weight high over the front forks, and some where the rider would normally sit. So the weight would be mounted high, even though the whole body wouldn't be tall. So that gives an idea to the scale of the vehicle. Just for perspective i'm about 5'5 120lbs.

Wheel bases are: Honda Cub 47 in, Kymco People 53 in, Ninja 250 55.1 in. It's a little shorter than the Ninja which people have built fish tails to. I could look into adding a foot or two for cross wind stability. It's starting to be a single occupant vehicle now.
Here are the specs:
KYMCO People 150 Specifications - KYMCO USA

I know the whole thing is just a little bit crazy, but hopefully not impossible. I'll buy some scooter or motorcycle in the spring. This should get me out of the dreaded planning stage and into the doing and building stage.

Edit: You were right, it's belt drive! What a pain. I hope it's not too difficult to add a sprocket to the rear wheel.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 01-02-2014 at 10:36 AM..