View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Blue07CivicEX
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville80 View Post
i'm confused. AAA published an article against cautious/gas conserving driving? don't they give some of the same tips?

I can only imagine people drafting getting into accidents. others driving in the legal speed range "causing" road rage in others. so the road ragers/law breakers are the victims?

what exactly were they talking about?
That's basically the issue at hand, and AAA is concerned about things such as engine off coasting and not stopping at reds/stop signs, but the real issue is the conflict between slow drivers and fast drivers, concentrating drivers and incompetent drivers.

Every method of driving the "hypermiling" community supports _IS_ safe to perform the issue comes in when you add people with different driving styles to the mix. If you are performing your safe engine off coast when an SUV cuts into your lane and loses control/flips the vehicle the ability to react is decreased, or if somebody in front of you slams on their brakes cause they missed a turn, without power steering most people wouldn't be able to swerve around.

I don't believe power brakes should really come into the argument as it's pretty much known you have solid braking power in _MOST_ situations where you would be eoc'ing due to DWB and just not keeping your engine off for a long enough time to run out of booster.

So basically the question is has any of the above behavior caused an accident, in all the news and AAA statement I have not seen one single fact or number saying "Hypermiling, the new speeding, this year more deaths from driving slow with the engine off then caused by cell phones while driving". The day I see that proof I might consider what the group has to say but until then I don't see my slowpoking causing an accident that is _MY_ fault.

Ok, down off my soap box.
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.