View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I've learned lately that there are 2 major divisions of officers in most areas these days (also a lengthy tale, as is my style )...

1) Traffic (mostly speeding), and
2) Patrol

Traffic assignments are fairly straightforward -- speed traps, driving the roads, clocking vehicle speeds and catching blatantly unsafe operation.

The second is "Patrol". This is generally the group that shows up to 911 calls, assists other officers, and cruises around for crime prevention and detection.

When a patrol officer pulls someone over, it's generally "for cause" to look for drugs, DUIs, weapons, warrants, mismatched plates to the vehicle, etc -- they perform this by observing "unusual" behavior or conditions: head/tail light out, slower driving, etc. -- and generally happens "between assigned calls".

This is likely what happened, Trik. It's too bad the officer was rude -- you didn't deserve that kind of treatment. The "cause for suspicion" failed on his part, and it sounded like he took it personally -- hoping to make a big bust or something.

However, I've learned that it goes sour quickly with any question of authority. I know it's hard, but you just have to answer the questions with respect, and if it doesn't go well, have your day in court and/or file a complaint. Police dash cameras protect the rights of both the officer and the suspect, so that could be used as evidence. It sounded like a "procedure" to run up behind someone quickly -- DUIs generally freak or act strangely. The speed was apparently cause for concern. I know hypermilers feel like a target lately, and that can get personal too.

I had an odd instance (not as bad) -- failure to display a front plate. I was doing 55-60 in a 65, saw the lights as he had someone pulled-over, I merged left (per State Law and safety/courtesy), and then all of the sudden he's on my bumper and flipped on the lights. I had no idea what the deal was. I got questioned about everything on the car: SG, Weather radios and antennas, the head unit was loose, so it appeared stolen (but the bracket's busted), etc. He told me about the plate, which finally ended the whole "discussion". I had the front plate in the hatch, so I got it out, presented it, and left with a "warning". It seems after that, I had the Police behind me about 5 times in the next 2 weeks. Maybe a similar car was involved in a crime, who knows.

I've worked with Sheriff Deputies, State Patrol, and local Police as a Medic, and the range is "human" -- there are nice guys, and jerks too.

RH77

_
_