View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbum View Post
I am slowly starting to make plans for the front bumper on my lupo 3l that I will make this summer in glass fiber.
In that process I was thinking about making front wheel well deflecter but then I saw aerocivics car and the total well covers.

Does this have an impact on brakes and other mechanics inside the well ?? Is it safe to do

If you make the covers could you address the possible heat issue with some air tubes from the front bumper leading the air into the well ??
*The leakage of air between the tire and wheel well should be sufficient to carry the heat rejected from the brakes under 'normal' stopping.
*The brake rotors themselves should have enough mass to store the frictional energy of a full, panic-stop without warpage.
*The wheel bearing grease should be good to 250-degrees F.
*If you have access to an infrared,remote pyrometer,you could measure the actual hub temperatures on the car after a hard stop.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Under steady highway driving,the friction energy is a function of power transferred,and with reduced aerodynamic drag,the required road load horsepower is also reduced,so in effect,everything runs cooler.
*If you 'build light',you won't be adding significant mass/ inertia,the kinetic energy of which, must be dissipated as heat under hard deceleration.
*Dedicated ram-air cooling ducts from the forward stagnation area to the rotors could always be added should you feel the need.
UltArc (01-10-2014)