View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
"Elbows out" = spirited driving, esp. autocross, where you get your shoulders and upper arms into the action for faster turns.

I think that may be more of a British term. I don't remember where I heard it first.

If you're not doing autocross really often and have easy access to a lift and air tools, you might do very well to round up a set of narrower steel wheels for some low rolling resistance tires. I say steel wheels because they have that little lip around the edge that clip-on discs will engage. Then you spend most of your time on the thriftier tires and save the sticky, expensive tires for when it matters, during events. The lift and air tools just means being able to swap the tires whenever YOU want, not at the convenience of some shop.

That V8 is a sweet mill. But it does churn through the gas, no question. I'm not familiar with them but maybe you could bounce this question around on the BMW forums too, I know there's technology-minded gearheads for every marque (with the possible exception of Kia) who have dug into their cars' engine management. You may just need to reflash the engine computer, or get your hands on a replacement one to switch in for your thriftier daily driving needs.

I'm pointing up my ignorance. I have no idea if there are anti-theft features built into a BMW computer that might prevent such swapping. Too bad if there is, swappability make converting the car from a track day athlete into a long-legged posh commuter a quick, click-click operation.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
bobesser (01-07-2014)