View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #161 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

I give you a thanks for your desire to discuss the subject at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
Rusty, I lost all confidence in you over the GEET reactor discussion. I changed my formulas that you pointed out. It was a silly mistake by me, I was thinking the middle carbon atoms in the chain each had 1 Oxygen attached, even though in my mind I was picturing 2....go figure....and the Carbons on the end of the chain had 2, and I pictured 2...Derp 6+4 equaled 10, C8H10 Bzzzzzzzzzzzzt....No. I'm sorry, the correct answer is C8H18. I was wrong.

Now tell me where exactly I'm wrong in my facts regarding HHO and the possibility that it could ever produce a positive energy output. You seem quick to want to put me down on formulas, what about my logic and numbers involved in the process. Where am I wrong there??? Let's learn something.
All your formulas and numbers are correct ( except for your typos ) in the classical sense. But, you ignore what part hydrogen plays in the reactions, on a chemical level.

You are correct in stating that hydrogen is part of the combustion equation. However, it is the smaller part of the mass and energy potential. It does play a significant role in the reaction rate however. I outlined the process in simple form in a post above. You already brought up the classic NASA paper that showed a few percent increase in efficiency for a few percent input of hydrogen ( sub combustible mix - less than 4%).

Imagine if you will, the 18 hydrogen atoms in an octane chain, cut loose by the hydrogen added by the HHO device. Given the right conditions, as I outlined earlier, this is a very plausible outcome. Your small and insignificant amount of HHO results in a large percentage of hydrogen in the combustion mixture. Now, the flame front can follow the classic studies of hydrogen augmented combustion with local concentrations exceeding 4%. But, you must have the right conditions - conditions that elude the HHO supporters thus their applications work erratically or not at all.

As you know, this is precisely how the GEET is supposed to work - decompose the chain to get a useable amount of hydrogen gas to aid combustion - pre engine. But, the very efficiency you gain results in a drop in exhaust temperature and the device stops working. I have seen the phenomenon in person. To the consternation of the builder and promoter. But, catalysts' are advancing rapidly. In the years to come, maybe they can get devices such as the GEET to work in low temperature ranges.

At this point, there really is only one thing to do - build it and see.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (01-10-2014), pgfpro (01-11-2014)