View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,557 Posts
MPGuino suddenly giving weird readings

First off, this is a prebuilt unit from a member on this forum.

Recently my MPGuino has been giving very weird readings. My wife said it slid off the steering column when she went around a corner (trying to conserve speed ) but that it didn't hit anything, just ended up dangling by the wires. Here's a sample of the readings:

At first I thought maybe she had inadvertently altered some of the settings, but upon checking, everything seems right. Closer inspection revealed that "tank" and "current" readings are correct, but anything based off of "instant" is very wrong. Gallons per hour always reads between 15 and 17, and instant MPG shows up as being around 2. So, what I'm thinking is somehow the ROM got corrupted.

I hooked up a second unit that I built myself from an arduino and all of the readings were normal, so there's nothing wrong with my vss or injector lines. I briefly gave consideration to the resistor at the end of my injector line having gone bad, but again, "current" and "tank" readings are still reliable.

I suppose my question is this: is it possible, or even likely from my description, that the ROM has been corrupted? Can I just swap the ROM chip from my arduino and see if it works?

EDIT: For the life of me I can't remember who I got my MPGuino from. Does anyone know who built the units with the blue plastic housing for the inputs?