View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Ouch. I thought you were a programmer and we are trained to start at the end. Whats the point in selecting an eco car over another if you have other choices and the chance you or some idiot wrecks it, it costs you millions in hospital bills or even kills you vs the savings a few bucks in fuel?

I was surprised to see the prius c there too as hybrids typically do better from the bracing and weight distribution.

Ive read the fine print of my insurance, it only covers 80% of hospital stays.
What's the point in buying something that isn't an armor-plated Chevrolet Suburban?

The level of risk here is what's in question.

A "significantly greater risk", in this case, means your one-tenth-of-one-in-a-million chance of dying on the road becomes a 0.11 in a million chance. (perhaps 0.1025? 0.101? then consider the Mirage is safer, on average, than half the cars in its class... scribble scribble scribble frown... whatever! )

Statistically significant? Yes.

Worth staying up at night for? Not really. You could decrease your chances similarly by simply not being a man (statistically greater chance of having a high-speed crash), but then, that's sillier.

It's one test. The Mirage still aces the other tests. And if you happen to come upon a wall that's deadset on removing 25% of the front end of the car, you can either: a.) elect to steer away and not hit it, or b.) steer into it, and enjoy the full crash protection afforded by hitting the wall with both frame rails head on.

-

The problem with all of this brouhaha is that... yes... safety is relevant... but when talking about such low levels of risk, the question is whether removing the top and bottom step on every staircase is a reasonable precaution to take.
The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
benphyr (04-08-2014)