View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Bestclimb has some great advice.

Don't put off the gauge - start looking on eBay for used ones, too. It'll pay for itself. Not getting one is effectively putting off savings. (And fun!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CX View Post
So I'm stuck in city driving for the majority of my driving, which is terrible for my gas mileage.
Aggressively efficient driving will have your city mileage ABOVE typical highway numbers. But it would require a fair amount of engine off stuff for that to happen.

Quote:
I've gotten an average of 34mpg. Which isn't too bad, I guess. It is a very stop-and-go driving situation. But I want more, ideally 40 or over.
Completely realistic & attainable.

Quote:
This tank, I'm experimenting ... I'm due to fill up either tomorrow or sunday, so we'll see what difference (if any) that's made.
Please report back.

Quote:
Other tips for city driving? I'm conflicted that EOC may not be safe... Thoughts on EOC safety?
Depends on the driver's ability, depends on the car. You lose power assist in the steering -- is that a problem in a Civic CX (does it even have power steering)? I won't EOC some vehicles that have unusually heavy un-assisted steering.

As bestclimb said, you retain power assisted brakes for 1-3 pedal applications until you deplete the vacuum. After that, you have to press noticeably harder on the pedal for the same braking force. Or, just restart the engine.

I'd be reluctant to use the key for regularly killing the engine. If you're doing to do this, wire a kill switch to the shifter for a couple of bucks. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...our-24263.html

Quote:
I'd be up for inexpensive aero mods, but do they really make an appreciable difference in city driving (<35mph)?
Do a partial grille block first: helps aero AND retaining heat in the engine bay. Monitor your coolant temps though.

Quote:
Also, they couldn't be too extreme, as my car still has to look presentable for delivering pizzas. (I'm pretty positive that my boss doesn't want his pizzas delivered in a spaceship held together by duct tape...)
That's just silly. Who's going to turn away the piping hot pizza at their door because they think the delivery vehicle looks funny? Not me!!

I often think of the pizza guys & taxi drivers in town. I'd love to do ride-alongs with some of them to give pointers on saving fuel. ( http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-23772.html )

Welcome to the forum!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
BikerModder (02-25-2014)