View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
video

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Not entirely in my opinion, but most certainly part of the story.

Both Ferrari and Porsche have been using pronounced front corner intakes (dual/split radiator) for at least 15 years.

Intimation is a from of flattery, right?

I'd like to separate out the air fence look from the dual radiator look discussion wise.

Ferrari 458 video - active aero

I think marketing wise BMW was the first to promote "Air Fences".
From the video(thanks!),it seems like the premise of the exotic aero features is primarily high-speed stability with the least drag penalty.But emphasis on keeping the driver safe and alive at what would be extra-legal speeds in most places.It's very considerate.
For fuel economy,I suspect that what basjoos has done with AeroCivic would remain a benchmark.
I finished off Goro Tamai's book,and all the super-low-drag solar racers had fully-enclosed and faired wheels.GM's Sunraycer,which GM's Aero Lab website reports at Cd 0.147 ( as raced),according to Bart Hibb's reference, came in at Cd 0.117- 0.103 with the full wheel fairing suite installed,at full-scale.These are the kinds of numbers Hucho says are waiting for us.
The Cambridge University 2013 CUER eco racer,which is kind of a skinny version of Sunraycer was reported at Cd 0.11.Pretty tasty!
If,however,enclosed front wheels are deemed 'impractical',these fences or curtains would be,in the words of the late Bob Parsons, "way out ahead of nothin'."