View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
What RPM does your tach read at 60 MPH?

I lived near Tysons Corner and worked in Arlington. At the time (30 years ago) I owned a 1984 CRX 1.5 and drove to work on route 123 (Chain Bridge Rd). I averaged 44 MPG in that CRX driving in that scenario. I would see the traffic on the Interstate crawling to downtown DC while I cruised along at 35 MPH and timed the lights to perfection.

Hills are tools hypermilers use to enhance their mileage. I do engine on neutral coasting downhill in my Fiesta (auto trans) and even at speeds averaging 60-65 MPH I can still hit 50 MPG in warmer weather. My Fiesta is rated at 38 highway and I have averaged 45 MPG for the last 20,000 miles (check my fuel log).

All that being said, your route choices are probably limited but you can (assuming your car is stock and in good operating condition) get better mileage.

The real question is which do you want? Economy or performance. Performance will cost you every tank, while economy can be interesting and save a lot of coin. It's the nut behind the wheel that makes that choice (dont take that the wrong way). I have been a racer and ran through 100 gallons of fuel a week, at 10 MPG, a long time ago in a 67 383 Fromula S Barracuda.

It would be interesting to ride with you on your commute, then drive the same commute myself, in your car and see what the difference in fuel mileage would be. Unfortunately I avoid the DC area as much as possible, but my oldest step daughter lives in Ashburn with her husband and 3 kids.

Maybe if you get down to the Williamsburg area we could do a ride together both in your car and in mine. Then I could show you my techniques, but I think you might not like to drive that deliberately even though it is only slightly slower average speed.

regards
Mech