Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Hrmm. Not a guru and I have a less efficient version civic. I shift at 2k, no later than 2200 unless I have to. I'm at power robbing high altitude as well. It's probably already been said, but isn't lean burn up to 2500RPM depending on throttle position? If you're operating range is 2500-3000 and sometimes 3500...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thirsty Bitch - '94 Honda Prelude S
90 day: 26.57 mpg (US)

Ma'ma Bears - '09 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
90 day: 24.35 mpg (US)

EcoBitch - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)
Alright so I'm having trouble doing the multiquote response thing so ya'll read and figure out what pertains to your post lol

I don't think the truckers would actually hit me no I'm not dense. But **** can happen.

Also my comfort zone is just stay with the flow. North Va has enough issue with ass holes slowing up traffic and not moving over to let people pass. I don't want to add to the problem.

The car is factory with the exception of some ebay intake which I plan to put back to stock and it's lowered. Doesn't have the OE wheels. Just sitting on stock tire size wrapped around steel wheels. Just put some Honda Fit alloy wheels on it though with 185/65r15 tires. In the future I plan to go with a set of 15 inch wheels that weigh in at 10 pounds a piece wit 205/50 rubber because another member said they did fine with that size. O and it's 5 speed.

As far as tire pressure goes I live on back winding country roads. I have the tires as high as I can keep them and still have the car handle the way I would like it to. I haven't started my car thread yet but I'm a "racer guy" My other car s are all built for performance. I have sacrifices I'm willing to make and some I'm not so this is why I'm looking to you guys for the help.

As for shift point the hills around my area are a *****. If I shift at 2k all the time I'll never get anywhere on time. It's just ludicrous for me. The way you guys talk you must live on salt flats is what I'm imagining.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
What RPM does your tach read at 60 MPH?

I lived near Tysons Corner and worked in Arlington. At the time (30 years ago) I owned a 1984 CRX 1.5 and drove to work on route 123 (Chain Bridge Rd). I averaged 44 MPG in that CRX driving in that scenario. I would see the traffic on the Interstate crawling to downtown DC while I cruised along at 35 MPH and timed the lights to perfection.

Hills are tools hypermilers use to enhance their mileage. I do engine on neutral coasting downhill in my Fiesta (auto trans) and even at speeds averaging 60-65 MPH I can still hit 50 MPG in warmer weather. My Fiesta is rated at 38 highway and I have averaged 45 MPG for the last 20,000 miles (check my fuel log).

All that being said, your route choices are probably limited but you can (assuming your car is stock and in good operating condition) get better mileage.

The real question is which do you want? Economy or performance. Performance will cost you every tank, while economy can be interesting and save a lot of coin. It's the nut behind the wheel that makes that choice (dont take that the wrong way). I have been a racer and ran through 100 gallons of fuel a week, at 10 MPG, a long time ago in a 67 383 Fromula S Barracuda.

It would be interesting to ride with you on your commute, then drive the same commute myself, in your car and see what the difference in fuel mileage would be. Unfortunately I avoid the DC area as much as possible, but my oldest step daughter lives in Ashburn with her husband and 3 kids.

Maybe if you get down to the Williamsburg area we could do a ride together both in your car and in mine. Then I could show you my techniques, but I think you might not like to drive that deliberately even though it is only slightly slower average speed.

regards
Mech
Old 01-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Lean burn usually kicks In right above 2500/65mph and can stay in it up to like 75 or maybe 80 but you have to really really baby it. If you accel to hard it will kick right back out. Its kimd of an art but once you get it, it is like mpg cheating almost . Sounds like you are driving to fast. You might get lucky and get near 40mpg in the summer like that but unless you are willing to calm down and keep it below 2500 rpm and use the shift light you might as well just accept it
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slw4dr View Post
Alright so I'm having trouble doing the multiquote response thing so ya'll read and figure out what pertains to your post lol

I don't think the truckers would actually hit me no I'm not dense. But **** can happen.

Also my comfort zone is just stay with the flow. North Va has enough issue with ass holes slowing up traffic and not moving over to let people pass. I don't want to add to the problem.

The car is factory with the exception of some ebay intake which I plan to put back to stock and it's lowered. Doesn't have the OE wheels. Just sitting on stock tire size wrapped around steel wheels. Just put some Honda Fit alloy wheels on it though with 185/65r15 tires. In the future I plan to go with a set of 15 inch wheels that weigh in at 10 pounds a piece wit 205/50 rubber because another member said they did fine with that size. O and it's 5 speed.

As far as tire pressure goes I live on back winding country roads. I have the tires as high as I can keep them and still have the car handle the way I would like it to. I haven't started my car thread yet but I'm a "racer guy" My other car s are all built for performance. I have sacrifices I'm willing to make and some I'm not so this is why I'm looking to you guys for the help.

As for shift point the hills around my area are a *****. If I shift at 2k all the time I'll never get anywhere on time. It's just ludicrous for me. The way you guys talk you must live on salt flats is what I'm imagining.
Those aren't stock size tires for it. They are 1" taller. The 1997 Civic HX came with 185/65R14 tire (according to tirerack.com). You have 185/65R15 tires on there.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That tire size thing could make quite a difference if your speedometer/odometer is off. Stock size tire (185-65-14) has a circumference of 73.7". The 185-65-15 tires have a circumference of 76.8, that's a 3.17" difference per revolution. That equates to 4%. So you may be traveling 4% more miles than your odometer indicates. Adjusting for that would increase your MPG.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slw4dr View Post

Since you say it is stock, I assume it has the stock manifold with a good O2 sensor? Switching to a header on an HX can decrease fuel economy significantly. The HX uses a wideband O2 sensor, so be sure to get the correct sensor if yours goes bad.

Winding country roads can be great for engine off coasting, especially with no stoplights.

Get a gauge. MPGuino works best on an HX. Ultragauge is cheap and easy to use. Real-time monitoring of mpgs can quickly improve your driving habits.

If the speedo/odometer is way off, it may indicate the tranny has been swapped (by a previous owner maybe?). HX has higher gearing than the other 6th gen Civics.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
If the speedo/odometer is way off, it may indicate the tranny has been swapped (by a previous owner maybe?). HX has higher gearing than the other 6th gen Civics.
That's what I would have thought too, but the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen all had the same size speedo gears--it seems most likely--and definitely all had VSS that turned about 1,025 rpms to indicate 60mph (even though the 4th gen VSS was cable). I looked into this a lot when I did my 1993 CX transmission swap into my 98 DX. ... However, taller tires will produce an undercount for certain. And it may be an undercount in addition to what seems to be a factory-planned undercount on the odometer, if my GPS tests are correct. Lastly, apparently the 1996-2000 DX *hatch* and the 1996-2000 CX had the same gearing as that generation's HX, while the EX, LX, and DX (coupe) all had shorter gearing than the HX. The EX had the shortest. A lot of cross sub-model standardization going on.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 01-31-2014 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: typos and syntax
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
darcane (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thirsty Bitch - '94 Honda Prelude S
90 day: 26.57 mpg (US)

Ma'ma Bears - '09 Nissan Altima 2.5 S
90 day: 24.35 mpg (US)

EcoBitch - '97 Honda Civic HX
Well I had the 14 inch size tires on the car when I did all that mileage testing. Today I attempted to drive with out going past 2500 and staying below it as well. I'm going to give it a try over the next 3 days and see how it does. I speed a little on the way home though cause I had to pee lol SO other then that I shall let ya guys know.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Get a gauge. MPGuino works best on an HX. Ultragauge is cheap and easy to use.
Okay, but which would you recommend more, an MPGuino, or an Ultraguage?

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
1slw4dr (01-31-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread