View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #47 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
George, I'm going to tell it to you as I perceive it:

There have been many, many HHO proponents out there. Lots of them talk a very long-winded game about what their system does and sometimes you can almost start to believe it (if you're skeptical - the more enthusiastic folks might tip over to buy it more readily). I haven't spent much time on your site because it appears to be very dense with information but really when I hear about something like this, I want to see that it is very clear up front. Drowning the core information in reams of other ancillary "information" makes it look like a snow job.

Other entities have examined HHO at some length and decided it isn't worth the hype. There may be some results to be had, but they are either small enough to be negligible or within the margin of error, or attributable to other modifications to the system to make the HHO system function "as intended." These are such entities as Popular Mechanics Magazine's testing staff. It's easy to say that that might not be very impressive, but I give them a lot more credit than I might to someone else. There are people with someone serious alphabet soup after their names on the masthead of that publication and while it may sometimes not seem especially impressive as a scientific publication, the people who make the magazine are pretty vested in making sure they don't print something daft. Printing facts is their stock in trade, getting it wrong reduces their stock pretty quickly.

If it worked as well as its proponents said it did, major manufacturers would be all over HHO. If, for instance, Ford Motor Company could produce a car that delivered all the drivability of an unmodified Fusion, all the power and flexibility, while also providing 60mpg, don't you think they would? Of course they would. Sales of Fusions would leap into the stratosphere, and sales of Chevy Malibus would tank. Don't point to shadowy conspiracy theories and backroom industry agreements, we're talking about major international corporations whose primary goal is to acquire ALL the money. If they can steal a march on the other guys, they will. That's how the free market works. And since none of those companies have introduced these systems, I consider that an extremely strong indicator that the devices are bunk.

In peeking at your blog, I found mention of a vapor carburetor. This exact phrase went through my mind at that moment: "Oh, here we go again." Vapor carburetors do indeed work, with one caveat: power production drops through the floor. I suppose if you had a steady-speed, steady-load operating regime then a vapor carb could be a good choice...but that's not how my car works.

We had another member on here, a guy who absolutely could not shut up about how amazing his old "three main flat four" Subaru was the heart and soul of automotive engineering, the pinnacle of development and everything that had come before or since withered in its shadow. His posts were tiresome. He would not enter into the conversation, just remained on his soapbox. He got banned. In fact, he was banned from several forums, including Subaru forums. It's one thing to be a fan, it's entirely another to be a fanatic. Soapboxes aren't good for conversations, they're pulpits for the janissaries.

This is where I see you, George. You're on a soapbox. I would dearly love to see your information boiled down to something less than a many-pages-long diatribe. Don't obfuscate with parenthetical information, explain very clearly in small words how and why HHO works - if it indeed does. Explain precisely what you have done to make HHO work, and explain why HHO is directly responsible to the improvements in your vehicle's performance and not some other modification you have made. Try leaving all other modifications in place and removing the HHO system and then report back to us what your fuel economy is without the system in place. That would be educational, I think.

Until I see a response along these lines, I'm done. If you find my statements to be offensive, I'm sorry for that as no offense is meant. You may consider me Thomas, poking Jesus in his spear wound. I want to see clear, uncluttered proof.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 01-30-2014 at 08:50 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (03-29-2014), XYZ (01-30-2014)