View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
poomanchu
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdave View Post
Hi
from what i understand you will need a long round straight through silencet. striaght for better breathing and long to keep noise levels down. see if you anyone near you who makes custom exhaust systems and tell them what you require. am in same boat as you need a new silencer and talked to man who makes racing exhausts. gave him my requirements and he guided me and qouted for parts and shipping. im going to make mine up with clamp together system then get a local garage to weld up. not sure who you would approach in US as im across the pond my choices are a bit limited espcially as im 150 miles from a custom exhaust place and have to drive over to mountain ranges.
Hi! I am not trying to argue, just letting the OP know a straight through will add a ton of noise. The silencer's for these are really just a restricter that restricts everything but noise. Picture the kid in the loud civic with a fart can, and the little plate that makes the opening smaller. It's like that.

I really speak from experience, as I am the resident ricer here . I have ran multiple Ebay straight throughts, HKS Hi-Power straight through, Greddy SP2, RS*R ex-mag (my fav and current), Ractive. The straight throughs are the loudest silenced or no.

Just trying to save you time and money. Mind you the straight throughs can sound nice with upstream resonators, but just the can on stock exhuast...bleh. Oh and everyone will try to race you lol.

here is my HKS stright through, no pics of the silencer mounted though you can see the holes for it.

I recommend stock. I am sure any stock civic of your gen will work fine.

Rule of thumb with a D series engine (what you have): Adding things like intake, exhaust, header etc will not increase power, only noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Thats funny, putting a muffler on a honda!!!
xD