View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
poomanchu
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdave View Post
Hi
no offence taken. i was only quoting from someone how has making very successful exhausts for over thirty years. his exhausts have been on many winning cars. he understands noise suppression round silencers are quieter than an oval of same length. two silencers will be quieter than one obviously. as noise from exhausts are being checked at comperation level he has to keep pace with these changes. limit is 70 desibels. not sure how loud new cars are. aftermarket exhausts are now made alot quiter and still make performance increases. looking underneath my wife's 3.0 subaru legacy has at least 3 silncers and 3 cats but still get alot of performance and 30+mpg average despite having auto box and permement 4wd. so subaru must of engineered a brillent exhaust system. as a previous poster said you can use a more modern exhaust for quietness and performance. bottom line is not to increase pipe diameter or you will lose power and mpg. suggest you do some reserach on internet for building exhausts.
At 70 decibals, it is as quiet as a brand new lexus hybrid. He has managed to figure out what auto manufatures and speed shops have been wanting forever, a performance free flowing exhaust that gives up no power no loudness. It's not like lexus is tuning for maximum quietness NVH or efficiency or anything.

Lexus ES300 - Road Test - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

Please tell me where to buy this straight through muffler that is lexus quiet and gives optimal power, cops will never mess with my integra again. I have friends who can make extremely outragious claims too, it does not make it true. I am not even going to get into your false statements lmao!

And yes, most OEM exhaust systems are brilliantly engineered; hence why I suggested the OP get one.

Anyways, I have offered my experiences. Best of luck with your search OP.