View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #158 (permalink)
gk_ghig14
EcoModding Lurker

Eye catcher - '14 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 17.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
I always thought car mods were kind of interesting in so far as cost associated.

Dropping 5,000 to 10,000 dollars on a turbo kit? a blown motor? a complete motor swap? A limited slip differential? A sway bar kit? Even the small stuff like a cold air intake can run several hundred dollars.

"Awesome dude, your car is really fast."

Dropping 1k EACH for an axle swap? 1k+ For a transfer case swap or re-gear? 500$ for each 38" tire? Offroad lamps? Winches? skid plates? easily adding 5 digits worth of cost on top of a vehicle that is probably over 5 digits to begin with?

"Awesome dude, your daily driver can climb a vertical cliff."

Lifting a sedan, just to be able to put 20" chrome wheels on it? Several thousand dollars.
Candy paint? Chameleon paint? Several thousand dollars as well.

"Awesome dude. Your car looks like a hot wheels toy."

Spend 100$ on eco mods, and have scientific data that backs up the idea/theory they work on. and the mod itself will more than likely pay for itself if you plan to keep the vehicle for any amount of time? (I'm actually guilty of not caring about pay back time on eco-mods, but most others here are not.)

"Uhhh, that's weird. Why didn't you just buy a Prius?"
If you spend over $5k on a turbo kit you're mostly insane. But most of the mods you listed ad to the everyday enjoyment of the vehicle. Eco mods don't really do that except help the bank account.

If I did a supercharger on my stang, do I really need almost 700 hp on stock motor? No, but it's sure as hell fun!

Well except the wheels, but most cars now a days don't need lifts to fit 20" wheels. It's all in the tire size