View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Thoughts on Prius Powertrain in Gen1 Insight?

So I'm not really considering doing this (if I did a swap, it would be more for power than mileage), but I was wondering how you guys think it would do.
The Insight's engine+IMA can produce about 75hp and it weighs 1850lbs. The Gen2 ('04-09) Prius produces a total of 110hp and weighs 2900lbs. That puts the Insight at about 2/3rds the power and weight of the Prius. Just swapping the powertrain straight over should give a decent increase in mileage over the Prius, probably on par with the stock Insight powertrain. Weight shouldn't increase by more than about 200lbs from my very rough calculations. The CVT should keep the ICE RPM's lower to match the reduced load. But what if we modify the final drive to take advantage of the lower weight and drag of the Insight? What if it was 1.5x higher, so that instead of EV/ICE off coasting maxing out at ~40mph, it would be able to go til 60mph to do some high speed pulse and glide?

Not really sure where I'm going with this. I'm just kind of curious how the two different systems would compare in the Insight. I'm sure my wife is sick of hearing my ideas, but I'm among friends here.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread