View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Just swapping the powertrain straight over should give a decent increase in mileage over the Prius, probably on par with the stock Insight powertrain.

Weight shouldn't increase by more than about 200lbs from my very rough calculations.
Whole Prius Drive train ( ICE + Planetary-Gear ) in a lighter & more Aerodynamic (less total CdA Drag) Gen-1 Insight would get better MPG than OEM Prius.

mileage "on par with the stock Insight"... maybe close ... but I think MPG will over all go down a little bit ... around 3 to 5 % on the same route and same average speeds ... that ~200lbs you reference would be an automatic ~10% rolling resistance penalty all by itself... and a ~10% inertia penalty on every acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Not really sure where I'm going with this. I'm just kind of curious how the two different systems would compare in the Insight. I'm sure my wife is sick of hearing my ideas, but I'm among friends here.
One of the big benefits the Prius Drive Train gets is from the power splitting planetary gear type of transmission ... just swapping the ICE over will loose any of those benefits.

Best of luck... post lots of pictures as you go.