View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #93 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
From your Wikipedia link:
And the problem with it? Given current tech, HVDC isn't practical at distances over about 4000 miles. If you look, you'll find that the longest HVDC lines currently top out under 1500 miles.

Now given that the minimum (great circle) distance between Moscow & Seattle, the closest pair of large population centers, is something over 5200 miles...

Fine. Develop a transmission technology (high-temperature superconductors, maybe?) with lower losses, and it could work. Technically, that is. I'm not convinced that the people at that link are at all connected to reality. E.g.
Quote:
The origin of this initiative emerged from the global simulation of the World Game™. The World Game™ eliminates politics, prejudice, war and human ignorance...
Quote:
If you still aren't convinced that it is feasible with Ultra High Voltage DC, there's always Eric P. Dollard

Eric Dollard | Gestalt Reality
Hummm... You know, posting that might have been a waste of time/bandwidth, as it lost me by the end of the first paragraph:
Quote:
In my opinion this man is smarter than Albert Einstein. You have to be in order to so eloquently debunk Einsteins theory of relativity.

Last edited by jamesqf; 02-08-2014 at 06:02 PM..