Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Quite a disappointing response.
Anything in particular, or am I just a bad person who should feel bad? FWIW I agree that we're going to be up to our elbows in old people.

Quote:
And bringing up Buddhism makes sense?!?
If I'd given it a moment's thought, I'd have gone with: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Quote:
Worst . Thread . Ever.
??? Nobody's mentioned vortex generators yet. ...Oops.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #92 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
— 'Quality moreso than quantity' sounds different to 'we're at the 59th minute!"
What?

Quote:
— Sort of a Buddhist attitude of acceptance? Sex=babies, deal with it.
We have the technology to fix it so sex does not equal babies.

Quote:
— One knows when full capacity has been reached because it's a failure mode, The whole planet looks like Saharasia.
Right. So the lemmings all keep running towards the cliff and don't know it's a fail until after they've gone over the edge.

Quote:
Frank Lee -- domes are acoustically insulative. When you'rte inside you have no idea what your redneck neighbors are up to.
Fantastic. I'll just spend the rest of my life indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Tell me about what purpose it serves to load 'er right up to full capacity. It must be awesome. This ought to be good.
Still waiting to learn why unfettered extravagant reproduction is such a great thing.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #93 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
From your Wikipedia link:
And the problem with it? Given current tech, HVDC isn't practical at distances over about 4000 miles. If you look, you'll find that the longest HVDC lines currently top out under 1500 miles.

Now given that the minimum (great circle) distance between Moscow & Seattle, the closest pair of large population centers, is something over 5200 miles...

Fine. Develop a transmission technology (high-temperature superconductors, maybe?) with lower losses, and it could work. Technically, that is. I'm not convinced that the people at that link are at all connected to reality. E.g.
Quote:
The origin of this initiative emerged from the global simulation of the World Game™. The World Game™ eliminates politics, prejudice, war and human ignorance...
Quote:
If you still aren't convinced that it is feasible with Ultra High Voltage DC, there's always Eric P. Dollard

Eric Dollard | Gestalt Reality
Hummm... You know, posting that might have been a waste of time/bandwidth, as it lost me by the end of the first paragraph:
Quote:
In my opinion this man is smarter than Albert Einstein. You have to be in order to so eloquently debunk Einsteins theory of relativity.

Last edited by jamesqf; 02-08-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #94 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Here is where you go completely bonkers Arragonis,
Goodbye growth?!? The growth in growth hasnt even stopped, and growth hasn't stopped. That picture doesn't make sense, ergo you are hysterical.
I (in fact not me, the sources I linked to) said the rate of growth will slow and decline to nothing and then population sizes will either decline overall or stabilise for different reasons. In the article one source is the UN which has the rate of growth declining and the other is a professor who has another calculation which shows rate of growth declining faster. When the rate of growth has declined to zero that means no increase, and if it is negative there is a decline in the total.

If you have an issue with it go take it up with the professor and Speigel and explain to them why they are bonkers, I look forward to the exchange being posted here and you being proved right. It is possible you might be, as the Australians say "go yer hardest mate". but it isn't me you need to be attacking.

But also read the other links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
He said I stopped making sense when I posited why people cheer for population growth.
I was hoping you would say who would (bad grammar, I am so naughty) cheer for population growth and who you thought would possibly have the strange collection of motives you outlined :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee
Being a bidness leader hoping for more customers hence more dollars in his pocket?
Being a politician hoping to increase his base and fund his Ponzi schemes?
Being a religious leader hoping to achieve world dominance via having his group out-reproduce all others?
Being a military hungry for more cannon fodder?
Being an egomaniac that thinks more copies of themselves blesses the world?
Being a crazy egg-layer that won't be "fulfilled" until she fertilizes as many of her dumb eggs as possible?
Being a simpleton that buys into the rhetoric from ^?

There must be others too...
But hey, this is the internet and I'm open to other interpretations if people have them or you would care to make it more explicit ? Optonal of course.

Quote:
Yes, if spiegel can not even title their graph properly, they're probably wrong elsewhere too.
What is wrong with the title ?

It matches the chart quite well as far as I can see.

Quote:
Still waiting to learn why unfettered extravagant reproduction is such a great thing.
Me too.

I'm also wondering what a fettered reproduction system would look like- would you have been able to have your child* in that system, would I have ? Would it look like the China system which is being revised because it just doesn't work ?

*(I'm not having a go at your kid, I wish him/her nothing but good health, happiness and success in whatever they want to do.)

Please note lack of ad-homs, but I reserve the right to use the phrase bollocks maybe later.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=Arragonis;410481]
I was hoping you would say who would (bad grammar, I am so naughty) cheer for population growth and who you thought would possibly have the strange collection of motives you outlined :
Quote:
Being a bidness leader hoping for more customers hence more dollars in his pocket?
Being a politician hoping to increase his base and fund his Ponzi schemes?
Being a religious leader hoping to achieve world dominance via having his group out-reproduce all others?
Being a military hungry for more cannon fodder?
Being an egomaniac that thinks more copies of themselves blesses the world?
Being a crazy egg-layer that won't be "fulfilled" until she fertilizes as many of her dumb eggs as possible?
Being a simpleton that buys into the rhetoric from ^?
You'd claim that there aren't people out there in the world pushing population growth for at least some of those motives? You can certainly hear a version of the first from most economic types: that continued population growth is necessary for the economy, and that countries like Japan that are experiencing a (short term, so far) decline are facing disaster. Likewise the religious/ethnic motive can be found, with e.g. Palestinians trying to outbreed the Israelis, or the 'Aztlan' types wanting to return the southwestern US to Mexico.

Quote:
What is wrong with the title ?

It matches the chart quite well as far as I can see.
How so, when the world's population is not shrinking? Even most of the places with birthrates < 2.0 are growing, due to immigration.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #96 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
You'd claim that there aren't people out there in the world pushing population growth for at least some of those motives?
No, I don't claim anything. Someone else does. Go challenge them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
How so, when the world's population is not shrinking? Even most of the places with birthrates < 2.0 are growing, due to immigration.
I agree with the point about immigration as I pointed out 2-3 pages ago.

Check the original article, chart and caption again, it is correct in terms of what they are showing.

It is a minor point but hey, I can't read a chart apparently.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #97 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Perhaps the Queen's English is different.

On this side of the pond, "shrinking population" means "shrinking population".

Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #98 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Worst . Thread . Ever.
Moderators, please close this thread. I apologize for the mess that I made. Happy Ecomodding, everybody.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 AM   #99 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Dang, now I'll never find out why we should all worship the Duggars.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 02-09-2014 at 02:58 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
I'm not the one to answer the question, I was kicked out of the gene pool 25 years ago and I'm still bitter about it.

Quote:
Moderators, please close this thread. I apologize for the mess that I made. Happy Ecomodding, everybody.
I think we're all refugees from the 'All Over But The Sweating' thread. That ran 1500 posts before it was closed.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread