View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #733 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
One OS should never be used for desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, etc. Which is what Windows 8 was designed for
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
On the contrary, Linux does this quite well, especially since Android is nothing but a stripped-down Linux with a fancy user interface on top.
Ah, one of my not-quite daily annoyances; Linux bigots. They're almost, but not quite, as annoying as Apple bigots.

I kid, sort of. But the truth is that Linux -- the use of which is, in very large part, how I make my living -- is not a be-all end-all operating system. At the kernel level, you might be able to make a decent argument. But it needs buttloads of customization to fit different functions, platforms and screens. You said as much yourself when you described Android.

Windows 8 tried to be a single operating system and interface that would fit all platforms and screen sizes. Dumb, dumb, dumb idea. But Linux would suffer the same fate, and be just as dumb an idea, if someone were to release a single version that was supposed to work on all of those same platforms. Thankfully nobody does that, and we get nice open systems that have a lot of commonalities, but are overlaid with interfaces for their target screens, or fortified enterprise duty, and so on.

Now for my latest daily annoyance: winter. It's been bad here. I have sheets of plywood blocking the main entrance to my house because the rain gutter is hours or minutes from crashing down from the weight of the ice dams, and I don't want the inevitable event to come crashing in through my front door.. My driveway is a sheet of ice. I feel like I should be wearing crampons every time I go outside. Our wood pile is not going to get us through until spring, and the backup pile has a foot of rock-solid white gunk on top of it. Propane prices are spiking, thank goodness I only use it for heating water and cooking. I could go on, but it just makes me more annoyed.

More snow is predicted for this afternoon. Bah.
The Following User Says Thank You to wdb For This Useful Post:
Cobb (02-09-2014)