Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #731 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
One OS should never be used for desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, etc. Which is what Windows 8 was designed for
On the contrary, Linux does this quite well, especially since Android is nothing but a stripped-down Linux with a fancy user interface on top.

I've dicovered that the most convenient way to move files (mostly pdfs that I want to read) to the tablet is just ssh/scp from my main machine.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #732 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
On the contrary, Linux does this quite well, especially since Android is nothing but a stripped-down Linux with a fancy user interface on top.

I've dicovered that the most convenient way to move files (mostly pdfs that I want to read) to the tablet is just ssh/scp from my main machine.
Linux doesn't count being open source it can be manipulated for a certain purpose not to mention Linux would be considered like the windows part of windows 8. Linux has versions such as Kali, puppy, ubuntu, fedora where windows has xp, vista, 7, 8, etc.

Windows 8 can not be changed enough to make a difference between consoles like linux.

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #733 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
One OS should never be used for desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, etc. Which is what Windows 8 was designed for
Quote:
Ah, one of my not-quite daily annoyances; Linux bigots. They're almost, but not quite, as annoying as Apple bigots.

I kid, sort of. But the truth is that Linux -- the use of which is, in very large part, how I make my living -- is not a be-all end-all operating system. At the kernel level, you might be able to make a decent argument. But it needs buttloads of customization to fit different functions, platforms and screens. You said as much yourself when you described Android.

Windows 8 tried to be a single operating system and interface that would fit all platforms and screen sizes. Dumb, dumb, dumb idea. But Linux would suffer the same fate, and be just as dumb an idea, if someone were to release a single version that was supposed to work on all of those same platforms. Thankfully nobody does that, and we get nice open systems that have a lot of commonalities, but are overlaid with interfaces for their target screens, or fortified enterprise duty, and so on.

Now for my latest daily annoyance: winter. It's been bad here. I have sheets of plywood blocking the main entrance to my house because the rain gutter is hours or minutes from crashing down from the weight of the ice dams, and I don't want the inevitable event to come crashing in through my front door.. My driveway is a sheet of ice. I feel like I should be wearing crampons every time I go outside. Our wood pile is not going to get us through until spring, and the backup pile has a foot of rock-solid white gunk on top of it. Propane prices are spiking, thank goodness I only use it for heating water and cooking. I could go on, but it just makes me more annoyed.

More snow is predicted for this afternoon. Bah.
The Following User Says Thank You to wdb For This Useful Post:
Cobb (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #734 (permalink)
The PRC.

Well given up.

Think it will be a system restore jobbie and then reinstall all the apps and then sort out access to the work systems - Mrs A and I work at the same place and I (for some reason) do internal IT support, yeah, I know.

I've refused to do this just now as I need to plan a weekend to make sure I get a full image and all the software to reinstall and she needs the PC first thing tomorrow.

I like Linux (Elementary OS is the system du jour at Chez Arra) but Linux is not an option for Mrs A due to the need for her to do demos etc which include hardware. - I wish she could use Virtualbox for demos but we did have issues with the hardware involved, VMs and Linux. Plus this is a work machine so I can't just flatten it and reinstall although I wish I could.

Grrr. I hate you Balmer you muppet
Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #735 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

beastie - '89 toyota hilux dolphin motorhome

Puggie - '98 Peugeot 406 Lx
Hi wdp
your last paragraph sounds like fun NOT. as i live in the uk snow so far this year is confined to scottish mountians and excellent ski conditions. now i live 700miles north of the south coast of england. no fun down there. i hope sitution starts to improve soon. we have had our driest and mildest winter on record. ummmmm for an aera known for rain rain and yet more rain just incase more rain coupled with wind speeds upto 120mph. slow wind speed is 20+mph. snow is still on cards as when lambing starts so does the snow. locally known as lambing snow. when lambing is finished spring arrives.no matter when lambing is feb march or april snow is granuteed even bookies wont give odds on no snow during lambing. so far our corner of scotland has escaped the evil weather this winter but plenty of time yet. (so am keeping snow shovel in house wife is going spare about it) means no snow until i put it back in garage. lol
Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #736 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Hah, that reminds me...
We had a lot of snow in the last 4 winters in a row. We weren't used to it; many winters pass snowless and a layer of 10 cm or so of the white stuff was seen as exceptional.
We now know all about snow dunes and ploughing. Local governments have stacked up road salt in vast quantities for this season, having run out each year 4 times in a row.

I got a new plastic snow scoop 4 years ago just when the first snow fell. It broke at the first scoop full. Glued it; broke again. Plastic welded it; broke again. Made a support structure out of steel and wood; still felt flimsy but held to this day, but I used it with great care and trepidation.

Got a sturdy inox snow scoop last December. Immediately temperatures went up and haven't come down again.

So there you have it.
It is no good to complain about the weather. Do something about it!
Be well prepared, then it will just move off.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #737 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Linux... needs buttloads of customization to fit different functions, platforms and screens. You said as much yourself when you described Android.
Sure. But the point is that you can do the customization, because it is designed to allow it. Even if we're just talking about standard PC installation: I don't have to run KDE or Gnome if I don't want (and I don't), I can just instal FVWM instead.

Quote:
Now for my latest daily annoyance: winter. It's been bad here.
Could be worse: we only started having winter this past week :-(
Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #738 (permalink)
The PRC.

Update. Mrs A managed to find a skype for desktop on their site so the immediate neef to rebuild is gone. But Balmer is still a muppet,
Old 02-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #739 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Obviously, if one side is the right side, then the other side must be the wrong side. That's logic :-)
So if you have an even number of fillers (like 2), one on each side, then one is right and one is wrong. But why have a wrong one when you already have a right? That would be quite odd... Oh, but wait! The only number that is both even and odd is infinity, so you would have an infinite number of fillers... Let's not go there

What is Windows 8?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #740 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Windows Update.

Quote:
Restart your computer now to complete updates.
Ok
Cancel
Postpone 10 min / 1 hour / 4 hours
I just did the same yesterday, and now I'm in the middle of working and you have to keep nagging me the rest of the day until I give in and close everything and restart! Aarrrgh! Where's the "Sod Off, Get Lost, Go away or I shall taunt you a second time" button?

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread