View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

This becomes the Star Trek conundrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I tend to agree with P-hack's point that we need more information (stats) about what makes the Model X better than other alternatives. While passion and emotion are important motivators, it needs to be tempered by rational thought. The salesman did a poor job on both fronts; fumbling through the presentation, lacking emotion, and lacking useful information.

I'm not angry at the way marketing is done, only disappointed that human nature tends to be overly driven by emotion instead of critical thought. If people would give thought an equal say as passion, marketing would look a lot different. Not only would we have better products, but the divorce rate would be much lower, there would be less unwanted children, less debt...

Somehow our culture celebrates acting on emotion, and subverts logic by associating it with nerdy, uptight, wimpy people.
Does Spock give in to his logic or his emotions?

The answer is both - of course.

The Tesla salesman is under the stricture of time for his given presentation. I won't grade his presentation. But his focus on the emotional connection with the target viewer is spot on. I am quite sure you could have stepped up afterwards and picked up the "data" after the talk. That is simple. But if you have not created an emotional connection, the "data" would be useless. There would be no responders.

I have stood in front of private investors and government officials who represented millions in potential business and, I assure you, I did not spend my 15 minutes selling them on the "data". If I did my job well, they would extend my time slot and pick my brains over the data. Then they hopefully went off to read into the prospectus booklet.

Yes, our society would be better served to make decisions based less on emotions and more on logic. But, until that changes, advertising HAS to move people emotionally. Of course you must still have a viable product or service or it all falls apart.

Human emotions make us what we are - human. Coupled with our logical core, harnessed and focused, emotions are very powerful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
brucey (02-12-2014), redpoint5 (02-12-2014)