Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Tesla has to enter the market that exists, and they have to succeed - before they can change it.

Tesla buyers "get" $7500 of tax credit, not $25K.

How much is oil subsidized by? I daresay most of our military budget is an oil subsidy, and the big oil companies have been earning the largest profits *ever* while paying tiny taxes. They get sweetheart deals on drilling leases, and they barely pay anywhere near the cost of the most rudimentary cleanups of the disasters they spew. Would you rather live next to a refinery or a wind farm? Or even live next to a gas station vs a Supercharger station?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
brucey (02-12-2014), Fat Charlie (02-12-2014), Teri_TX (03-27-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
This is garbage marketing, doesn't matter if it is oil or electric. A good product sells itself, so why so much marketing?!?

This marketer is particularly awful. I'll gladly take a 7 passenger EV though, just don't call it a "SUV".
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
A good product sells itself, so why so much marketing?!?
Because otherwise this happens.

Or this:

Or this:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brucey For This Useful Post:
RustyLugNut (02-12-2014), Xist (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
You have to tickle the fancy of the buyer. Unfortunately, raw data is boring to most. Don't crucify him for doing exactly what I would do in his position - motivate those with the money to part with it.
I tend to agree with P-hack's point that we need more information (stats) about what makes the Model X better than other alternatives. While passion and emotion are important motivators, it needs to be tempered by rational thought. The salesman did a poor job on both fronts; fumbling through the presentation, lacking emotion, and lacking useful information.

I'm not angry at the way marketing is done, only disappointed that human nature tends to be overly driven by emotion instead of critical thought. If people would give thought an equal say as passion, marketing would look a lot different. Not only would we have better products, but the divorce rate would be much lower, there would be less unwanted children, less debt...

Somehow our culture celebrates acting on emotion, and subverts logic by associating it with nerdy, uptight, wimpy people.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

Spock say yes!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This becomes the Star Trek conundrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I tend to agree with P-hack's point that we need more information (stats) about what makes the Model X better than other alternatives. While passion and emotion are important motivators, it needs to be tempered by rational thought. The salesman did a poor job on both fronts; fumbling through the presentation, lacking emotion, and lacking useful information.

I'm not angry at the way marketing is done, only disappointed that human nature tends to be overly driven by emotion instead of critical thought. If people would give thought an equal say as passion, marketing would look a lot different. Not only would we have better products, but the divorce rate would be much lower, there would be less unwanted children, less debt...

Somehow our culture celebrates acting on emotion, and subverts logic by associating it with nerdy, uptight, wimpy people.
Does Spock give in to his logic or his emotions?

The answer is both - of course.

The Tesla salesman is under the stricture of time for his given presentation. I won't grade his presentation. But his focus on the emotional connection with the target viewer is spot on. I am quite sure you could have stepped up afterwards and picked up the "data" after the talk. That is simple. But if you have not created an emotional connection, the "data" would be useless. There would be no responders.

I have stood in front of private investors and government officials who represented millions in potential business and, I assure you, I did not spend my 15 minutes selling them on the "data". If I did my job well, they would extend my time slot and pick my brains over the data. Then they hopefully went off to read into the prospectus booklet.

Yes, our society would be better served to make decisions based less on emotions and more on logic. But, until that changes, advertising HAS to move people emotionally. Of course you must still have a viable product or service or it all falls apart.

Human emotions make us what we are - human. Coupled with our logical core, harnessed and focused, emotions are very powerful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
brucey (02-12-2014), redpoint5 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I'm not making excuses for advertising, they have had no small roll in conditioning people with lots of money for lots of face time. The less rational their consumers the more they buy hi margin low mpg things like SUVs.

This was all emotional garbage, who in their right mind has an emotional attachment to a car?!? Not that many people in their right minds anymore I guess.

I expect marketing/people will catch up with the information age sooner or later. Just don't accept this sort of garbage.

"I have the most awesome @#@#$@ing hammer!!! you really don't want to sell your soul on one of those other inferior hammers!!"
Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dreamer

Those gull-wing doors are terrible. On a car that has only one door on each side they may work. But with two doors and the front one being a conventional door it is just crazy.
Senario, you stop the car, kids in the back open the gull-wing door to get out. Then you open your door and get out, SMACK, gull-wing door to the back of the head. What were they thinking? The design of the conventional door tends to guide you to step out and back which works fine if the rear doors are also conventional doors but with gull-wing rear doors it just doesn't work..
Surely they could have hinged the door horizontally just below the window line so that the the bottom half of the door swung in towards the roof and out of the way?
The trunk lid on most cars has the whole trunk to keep you away from the lid but i still occasionally bang my head when getting things out of the trunk. I can only imagine how often i would be cursing those gull-wing doors as i rub another bump on my head.
Get rid of the gull-wing doors and put on normal doors, get rid of the third row of seats, move the second row back so that there is actually leg room. Then you would have heaps of space for the passengers, and trunk space in the back and front. Now that would be a nice car. Ok, not a "People mover" but a very spacious car, luxurious even. A car that people would actually enjoy, not a novelty that people will laugh at in a year or two.

Last edited by Astro; 02-12-2014 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Rearranged for readability
Old 02-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
We are no fools, but we like to be pampered a bit.

Star trek is the perfect example. We know Star Trek is not realistic at all, but it is much more pleasant to look at than the harsh realism of 2001: a space odyssey.

We know what presenters and salespeople are like. They do not provide unbiased information. They can provide factual data - you need to fact check them before you believe it.
I watched my dad negotiate with car dealers, lots of them; comparing their cars to the competition. I got put off by obvious lies, but my dad ignored those just like all the small talk. He was just 'using time' as he knew the price would come down if you keep talking long enough; just picking out the occasional gem like free offers and so.

A man on a stage is a performer and no more realistic than if he wore pyjamas in a fake space craft. We like that, but will not make the error to take him serious.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-12-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Old 02-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
"Because it's cool" is enough justification for anything. Ever.

We'll make up reasons later to justify it. After all, it worked pretty good with cars.
When public transport is clearly the logical alternative to personal automobiles in every scientifically measurable way, why are cars sold or driven at all beyond the lobbying efforts of the auto industry and actions such as the GM Streetcar Conspiracy?

Me, personally? I like the gull wing doors.

It makes it easier for me to imagine myself as a time traveler.

Reply  Post New Thread