View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Those gull-wing doors are terrible. On a car that has only one door on each side they may work. But with two doors and the front one being a conventional door it is just crazy.
Senario, you stop the car, kids in the back open the gull-wing door to get out. Then you open your door and get out, SMACK, gull-wing door to the back of the head. What were they thinking? The design of the conventional door tends to guide you to step out and back which works fine if the rear doors are also conventional doors but with gull-wing rear doors it just doesn't work..
Surely they could have hinged the door horizontally just below the window line so that the the bottom half of the door swung in towards the roof and out of the way?
The trunk lid on most cars has the whole trunk to keep you away from the lid but i still occasionally bang my head when getting things out of the trunk. I can only imagine how often i would be cursing those gull-wing doors as i rub another bump on my head.
Get rid of the gull-wing doors and put on normal doors, get rid of the third row of seats, move the second row back so that there is actually leg room. Then you would have heaps of space for the passengers, and trunk space in the back and front. Now that would be a nice car. Ok, not a "People mover" but a very spacious car, luxurious even. A car that people would actually enjoy, not a novelty that people will laugh at in a year or two.

Last edited by Astro; 02-12-2014 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Rearranged for readability