Thread: Trucks & SUVs
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Sure, I think we all understand that. The interesting question, at least to me, is WHY they want what they choose to spend their money on.

As for the rest... Well, I have a 4WD pickup. '88 Toyota: hauls hay, feed, firewood, takes me & the dogs out on roads where Jeeps get stuck. Cost me $2800.
I think you have a valid reason to own a truck and you picked a used truck at that. Used trucks save lots of money, plus you won't feel as bad if it gets bashed up in the woods or scratched loading firewood.

No one is arguing a valid need for a truck. If one uses a truck as a truck often, then no one can judge. But, the reasons some consider valid are not what others would consider valid. An example, someone needs a truck to hunt, but doesn't use any other abilities of the truck for the rest of the year. I took my Honda Civic hunting. Granted, I had to be careful on the dirt roads when they got wet and I would have had to get creative getting the deer in there, but since I only went hunting for a few months out of the year, it didn't make sense to own a truck. Now, Eastern Virginia deer are pretty small, so throwing one in the trunk would have been easy. If I had been hunting Iowa deer, I would need to reevaluate my hunting transportation.