Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
if you love driving your truck, that's all that matters.
Not here apparantly lol.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poomanchu View Post
Not here apparantly lol.
We all have our opinions, hence the reason this forum is interesting!

I think the points that were made thus far were valid, though not in every single case. I live in an area with low income, and while not all cars are too expensive for their owners, there are plenty of examples. Some specific examples would include large aftermarket wheels on SUV's, lifted Caprices with 28 or 30's, whatever size wheel they are up to now. Yes, there are some expensive cars parked in the section eight housing. Now, not all of them, but enough to make one wonder.

The main point of this thread is that Americans (and some Canadians?) drive what they want to drive and sometimes that can be a waste of gas and money. But, we have that right.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarguy01 For This Useful Post:
poomanchu (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poomanchu View Post
*Ah I see thank you for straightening this out. I guess people who drive sensible cars never lose their homes to bad desicions and must really need the food more than the lady in the escalade as it's ok to be poor if you don;t have nice things. I now see that people who drive anything not 'acceptable' or frugal enough is a very evil person indeed and it seems they deserve what they get as long as it's bad.

*Denotes use of sarcasm.
*Yes, it's too bad something so simple even needs to be explained.

*Denotes truth.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_deceiver View Post
Different people spend (or don't spend) their money on what they want...
Sure, I think we all understand that. The interesting question, at least to me, is WHY they want what they choose to spend their money on.

As for the rest... Well, I have a 4WD pickup. '88 Toyota: hauls hay, feed, firewood, takes me & the dogs out on roads where Jeeps get stuck. Cost me $2800.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
*Yes, it's too bad something so simple even needs to be explained.

*Denotes truth.
That's a miss.

Last edited by poomanchu; 02-14-2014 at 12:51 AM..
Old 02-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
We all have our opinions, hence the reason this forum is interesting!

I think the points that were made thus far were valid, though not in every single case. I live in an area with low income, and while not all cars are too expensive for their owners, there are plenty of examples. Some specific examples would include large aftermarket wheels on SUV's, lifted Caprices with 28 or 30's, whatever size wheel they are up to now. Yes, there are some expensive cars parked in the section eight housing. Now, not all of them, but enough to make one wonder.

The main point of this thread is that Americans (and some Canadians?) drive what they want to drive and sometimes that can be a waste of gas and money. But, we have that right.
I agree with this. I do see the points Lee was trying to make as well, it just got lost in fallacy.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Sure, I think we all understand that. The interesting question, at least to me, is WHY they want what they choose to spend their money on.

As for the rest... Well, I have a 4WD pickup. '88 Toyota: hauls hay, feed, firewood, takes me & the dogs out on roads where Jeeps get stuck. Cost me $2800.
Good for you. I think you want a pat on the back or something? Who cares that you cannot fathom that different people may have different tastes or requirements than you.

Different strokes for different folks. Don't be so hasty to judge.

Last edited by poomanchu; 02-14-2014 at 12:59 AM..
Old 02-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post

I think you have a valid reason to own a truck and you picked a used truck at that. Used trucks save lots of money, plus you won't feel as bad if it gets bashed up in the woods or scratched loading firewood.

No one is arguing a valid need for a truck. If one uses a truck as a truck often, then no one can judge. But, the reasons some consider valid are not what others would consider valid. An example, someone needs a truck to hunt, but doesn't use any other abilities of the truck for the rest of the year. I took my Honda Civic hunting. Granted, I had to be careful on the dirt roads when they got wet and I would have had to get creative getting the deer in there, but since I only went hunting for a few months out of the year, it didn't make sense to own a truck. Now, Eastern Virginia deer are pretty small, so throwing one in the trunk would have been easy. If I had been hunting Iowa deer, I would need to reevaluate my hunting transportation.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, this turned into an interesting thread. The suggestion to do the informal survey at a business parking lot is a good one. The people at the crafts fair probably don't represent commuters. We have a lot of "winter Texans" down here and they arrive pulling their fifth wheels and trailers, which require larger and heavier vehicles. I'd bet that they even have a smaller car at home waiting for them. The only one I couldn't fully understand was the over-the-road tractor that someone drove to the crafts fair. This wasn't a 450 or 650 Ford, but a true tractor (didn't get the make).

Yes people will spend the money they have on what they want. Best example was what appeared to be a $1M+ bus motor home with a Jaguar as their tow vehicle... seen last summer driving through town.

Love the Nebraska signature...Luckily I've never had hallucinations while driving to visit the relatives.

Joggernot
Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Yes people will spend the money they have on what they want. Best example was what appeared to be a $1M+ bus motor home with a Jaguar as their tow vehicle... seen last summer driving through town.
HA! I'd love to see a Jag pulling a bus!

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-14-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread