View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Long parked 2001 Prius startup help needed

So we could argue for hours about who left what old hybrid sitting unattended for way too long, but let's just agree that mistakes were made and try to move forwards! 2001 Prius, low KMs, ran when parked a year or two ago. Put a brand new 12 volt accessory battery in it, all the dash lights and the LCD display come on. I get the "Problem" message on the LCD for the first 5 seconds, then it just looks like this:

The "upper" dash display comes on fine and stays on, shows the mileage, fuel etc. If I cycle the LCD display, I get to this screen:

I can hear relays etc clicking under the hood, and everything is still hooked up under there from what I can tell. According the the manual, the display should read "Ready" at some point then you can start the car, but that never happens. I am assuming it's because of the warning light on in the first pic. Car in park, e-brake on, foot on the brake pedal as per the owners manual starting procedures, and - nothing. Turn the key and the LCD goes blank, but the upper dash display stays on. Sometimes the LCD goes back to the Toyota splash screen and starts over again, sometimes it just goes back to whatever it was displaying before it went blank.

I've tried locking and unlocking the doors both manually and with the remote, just in case it's security system related. I even tried boosting it with another vehicle as per the manual instructions. Nada. I realize the 12v battery doesn't actually do the work starting these cars, but at this point I am out of ideas as to if there is anything I can do to get this thing fired up. Is there a relay or something that I can reset to wake up the traction battery, or some other trick? Thanks!