View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
yoyoyoda
Banned

Deceptivley Simple Mechanical Power Steering Engager?

I was thinking...

Seeing as my car weighs a ton and manuvers like a house when I remove the power steering pump belt, I was thinking that maybe it would be an interesting idea if I had an option of cable-engaging the power steering system.

On my Toyota there is the ability to adjust the belt tension on the power steering pump's mounting points, this conceivably gives me the ability to weld a plate onto there and hold a cable there, to give or release tension via the means of an accelerator or clutch cable. Also another perk is that the p/s belt is seperate from the regular alt/ac belt.

I don't think there is much risk of the serpentine belt slipping off the pulleys if you put in some metal around the mounting brackets to prevent the pumps pulley from moving too far away from the belt. Also adding a way to keep torque down on its mounting bolt is advised, use of a spacer underneath the mounting bolt would be ideal I reckon.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_200...PNKA_4502.html

Part # 44442A is where I am thinking of placing a bracket for a cable engage setup.

Also to keep the belt from slipping off you could add a guide rail for the belt, on either side of the belt to keep it centered, I'm thinking maybe some easy to cut sheet metal mounted somewhere on the engine.

What do you guys think? A cable-engager for your power steering pump?

If I install say a clutch pedal I could also conceivably make it foot operated, so when I am in car parks I can hold down my left foot and accelerate and brake with my right foot, all with the luxury of power steering.

Manual transmission owners could conceivably use a solenoid or a pull knob on their dashboard.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-20-2014 at 09:22 AM..