Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Deceptivley Simple Mechanical Power Steering Engager?

I was thinking...

Seeing as my car weighs a ton and manuvers like a house when I remove the power steering pump belt, I was thinking that maybe it would be an interesting idea if I had an option of cable-engaging the power steering system.

On my Toyota there is the ability to adjust the belt tension on the power steering pump's mounting points, this conceivably gives me the ability to weld a plate onto there and hold a cable there, to give or release tension via the means of an accelerator or clutch cable. Also another perk is that the p/s belt is seperate from the regular alt/ac belt.

I don't think there is much risk of the serpentine belt slipping off the pulleys if you put in some metal around the mounting brackets to prevent the pumps pulley from moving too far away from the belt. Also adding a way to keep torque down on its mounting bolt is advised, use of a spacer underneath the mounting bolt would be ideal I reckon.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_200...PNKA_4502.html

Part # 44442A is where I am thinking of placing a bracket for a cable engage setup.

Also to keep the belt from slipping off you could add a guide rail for the belt, on either side of the belt to keep it centered, I'm thinking maybe some easy to cut sheet metal mounted somewhere on the engine.

What do you guys think? A cable-engager for your power steering pump?

If I install say a clutch pedal I could also conceivably make it foot operated, so when I am in car parks I can hold down my left foot and accelerate and brake with my right foot, all with the luxury of power steering.

Manual transmission owners could conceivably use a solenoid or a pull knob on their dashboard.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-20-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Just to address the simple things first, I believe the power steering pump adds a lot of turning resistance when the pump isn't spinning. You might try disconnecting the hoses from the pump and connecting them directly. It may turn easy enough then.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Why not remove the system entirely? Less weight, and less complications. I've driven cars heavier than yours without power steering (removed). Its all in the alignment settings, and adjusting to the idea "car moves, steering wheel moves".

Old 02-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I may need to tow with this car in the future, fully laden with a trailer attached, possibly down some steep winding hills. And I already removed the P/S belt and the car was undriveable even with my well built arms. (I tried it for 2 weeks, it was borderline dangerous.)

Also I lifted the car and there was no resistance felt at all in the system, so the pump doesn't add any appreciable amount to the rack, so looping the lines and deleting the P/S pump wont affect things, logically...

I'm thinking maybe drilling a hole in one of the flow pistons in the power steering pump, if this pump has it, what pump doesn't?

That might increase responsiveness, but I want to reduce assistance...

I will try and pull the pump out tomorrow and see if I cannot modify it for about 1/4 or 1/3rd or even 1/2 power assistance. I don't mind having a reduced power assistance but having none at all will affect things greatly if I ever need to tow or carry.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-20-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
decrease the caster
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
decrease the caster
OK..

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep...WN-re-v1.4.pdf

Might do this aswell, but I'll see how the caster angle adjustment makes the steering feel first with the P/S belt pulled again.

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-20-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Also, if you just pulled the belt, you were working against the fluid in the system. You gotta drain it, and align it. A loaded trailer will lighten the steering also some (think teeter totter).

Last edited by Superfuelgero; 02-20-2014 at 12:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfuelgero For This Useful Post:
yoyoyoda (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Need to get the oil out of the system, Stratus ps pump pulley came apart drained the oil, my 14 yo 115 lb daughter drove it fine till I got the Altima for her, my 21 yo is driving it now with no problems. My 14 yo son will start driving it this summer once he gets his school permit till it dies.
The Following User Says Thank You to roosterk0031 For This Useful Post:
yoyoyoda (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Before doing that I checked to see if its actually possible to adjust Caster Angle on my car.

Its not, not without heavy modification to the strut mount, it is a front wheel drive vehicle as a result the strut assembly is what you would need to move inorder to adjust the positive caster angle that I have back to 1/2 of a degree.

Wheel Alignment Explained

Quote:
Like camber, on many front-wheel-drive vehicles, caster is not adjustable. If the caster is out of adjustment on these vehicles, it indicates that something is possibly bent from an accident, and must be repaired or replaced.
Next idea?

I was thinking of installing a spacer in underneath the strut support mounts but I'm not entirely sure how that will affect everything else.

Either that or hit a few pot holes really hard.

I might be able to adjust caster by moving the strut mount around a bit, maybe even nibbling out a bit of the metalwork so I can get it to push the strut mounting bolts more forward, but it is really risky.

UNLESS there is something I am missing..

Last edited by yoyoyoda; 02-21-2014 at 12:10 AM..
Old 02-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the camber. Likely the only time you notice the effort is in the driveway and parking lot. As mentioned, get the oil out and just disable it. Or just take more time to get used to it. My car has had the pump belt off for years and I've not gotten around to draining oil or looping lines because franklee, the steering effort doesn't bother me at all.

Unless your power steering pump has it's own belt, your idea would disable or compromise the operation of all the other belt-driven stuff.

Reply  Post New Thread