View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Now in possession of a 2004 Toyota Avalon

My sister is going off to boot camp and will be putting me in charge of her car for the indefinite future. She has a 2004 Toyota Avalon, which has a 3.0L V6, weighs ~4500lbs, and a 4 speed automatic. It looks like this:

I attached my bluetooth OBD scanner and we did some driving through town in 5 oclock traffic, and I was incredibly surprised to find that (with her driving, not even that conservatively) we averaged 32MPG with the AC on in stop and go conditions. It's rated for 19 city / 22 combined / 27 HWY. I'll have a chance to see the highway mileage next week when I drop her off.

If I get some more pictures, is it possible I could have some help calculating the frontal area? Wiki says it has a Cd of ~0.28.

The first thing I'm going to do is fill the tires up to max sidewall and block off the obnoxiously large upper grill. I'd like to keep it outwardly stock-looking with hopes that she may leave any modifications I do when and if I give it back. Any thoughts? Anyone on here have experience with this particular car?