View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
poomanchu
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
First off, the clutch cannot LOCK in a 1:1. So his statement was not “spot on”. In the world of friction, there can always be a chance of slip. Two metal plates with a disk sandwiched in between is hardly an absolute locking device. If there were some teeth, gears, etc that locked it, fine. But there aren't any mechanical engagements on the Civic clutch. It works on the principles of friction. A clamp relies on friction as well. Have you ever had a part, that was clamped tight, move? I have and it's because the force acting on that part overcame the friction holding it in place.

Again, I am not suggesting the clutch is slipping at all times. I am suggesting an engaged clutch can slip under certain circumstances. I am not saying it WILL, I am saying it CAN. I do not think that while I am driving my clutch is constantly slipping.

There is a lot of clamping pressure. But, that is not directly correlated to the amount of torque a clutch can hold under given circumstances. One ton of clamping pressure doesn't mean the clutch can hold one ton of the engine’s torque. There are a lot more factors, like the constantly changing coefficient of friction, as sited in one of the articles in the original post. Also cited in those articles, were the explanations about the differences between dynamic and static friction, outside factors, etc. It was actually some interesting reading.

In our world, we can assume all we want about the clutch not slipping. But, under the physics world, a clutch can slip. Do you disagree??
I have stated what I said., Yes, the clutch does LOCK in a 1:1, if it is not locked, it is slipping. If it is slipping while engaged, it or whatever is causing it to not clamp with full pressure needs replaced. Though the disk is probably fried by then.

Can the clutch slip in normal operation? yes, by manipulating the clutch pedal you manipulate the clamping pressure which LOCKS it into place. So there is some slip transitioning from engaged to not engaged. But besides that there should be no slip.

Don;t really know what else to say. The person who I quoted as spot on is still..spot on. An engaged clutch does not slip. Yes it is not mechanically welded or bolted together (would defeat the point of a clutch), but it does lock into a 1:1 through the force exerted by the pressure plate and friction material of the clutch.

Can an engaged clutch slip under certain conditions? Yes, like if it is failing or overheating or there is a material between the flywheel and clutch causing slippage.