View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
poomanchu
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
You say it's locked, then say it could slip, well, which one is it?? A solid shaft connecting the engine to the transmission can't slip (maybe twist a little...). A set of gears between the engine and transmission can't slip. lf it is locked, it can't slip, ever. An engaged clutch can slip and it doesn't need to be failing or overheating to do so.

A Centerforce Clutch uses weights that increase clamping pressure as the rotational speed of the clutch increases. Increased clamping pressure = more torque capacity, but the clutch doesn't LOCK!

Driving down the highway, yes, the clutch should be holding 100% of the engine's torque.

You are assuming that the clutch needs to be failing in order to slip. This is untrue. If the conditions are right, a clutch can slip. This slip might be as slight as .0001% of a rotation, but the slip is still there. This is because a clutch is not mechanically locked.

My point is, a clutch will never hold 100% of the time. A clutch cannot lock, outside of a "friction lock".
I have made my points and am not going to regurgitate everything. I have clearly stated when a clutch will slip, and when it will not.

I will say it again, one more time. A properly engaged clutch should not slip. If it is, it either is overheating, has a foreign item between the disk reducing frictions, is failing or has surpassed its maximum torque capacity, basically the engine is overwhelming its clamping power to lock it in place.

If your point is the clutch will not hold 100% of the time while engaged, it is failing. Yes, when you press in the clutch pedal you are releasing that clamping force.

And what exactly are we talking about now? You say it slips all the time, then no you didnt mean that, only under certain conditions, then a friction LOCK is not a LOCK. The original guy's response correcting your misinformation (as listed below) is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
Technically, there is always a slight amount of slip, at all times, since there is only a friction connection between the flywheel and clutch disk. But, we won't get into that since that amount of slip is probably less than 1%.
This is still false.

Quote:
BS. It's zero.
A properly working clutch allows zero slippage while engaged. None.
Locked in a 1:1 ratio.
Real world: 1% slippage would be a huge problem for a clutch.

Sorry, you have misinformation and I felt an overwhelming need to educate.
This is still true

Quote:
Edit: I should have said, "Technically, there is always a slight amount of slip, under certain conditions, since there is only a friction connection between the flywheel and clutch disk."
Define 'certain conditions'. I have named a few conditions which would cause a engaged clutch to slip, yet you reject or bypass them completely.