View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #6264 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Hello! VR1 just changes the trip point for the last line of defense, which is the hardware overcurrent trip point. The software is what really keeps the current at no more than 500 amps. Fully CCW means the hardware is probably limiting the current to around 450-495amp.

I think I still have the "1000amp" code. I could look for it and try to make a change and email you the .hex file, flores. It wouldn't have a bootloader though, so you'd have to have a programmer. I wonder if I set the current to less than 1000amp for testing purposes, with the vague idea that later once it was working, that we would up the current. That feels familiar. I'll take a look at the code this weekend.

At my job I've gotten a lot of practice over the last year with chassis mount IGBTs, home made desaturation detection circuits, copper sheets, and film capacitors. My house is being powered by an inverter and MPPT tracker that I designed for that company that all use film capacitors and chassis mount IGBTs. I've been planning on doing a chassis mount DC controller for quite a while, now that I know how super easy those types of IGBTs are to work with. I have 6 600v 600amp IGBTs that were new from Ebay. Does anyone want to live dangerously and try out a prototype? I'd donate the igbts. I'm just finishing a project, and need something new to work on.
flores (02-25-2014), mora (02-23-2014)