View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
sarguy01
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
I'll clarify my other post my point was that engines can use the same tune if there is room for adjustment in the tune somewhat like the OEM tune. That's how some existing flash tuners work, granted I know that some have custom tunes made before you get the tuning device but there are flash tuners that use what you were calling "canned tunes". Even though you don't get the maximum effect out of those devices there are some gains.
Yes, in most cases, there should be some gains. But, I won't believe the person selling me a $300-500 tuner. They all makes claims about mpg increases, but without some real data, I won't be buying one. I know some people from other forums that made claims of mileage increases, but with no real testing. They wanted to believe the product worked and started checking their gas mileage, with no real before numbers or controlled testing conditions.

But, as we've said, the best gains are going to come from a custom tune; one for your specific car.

For $500, I can add some proven mods like a Scan Gauge, pizza pans, grill block, etc. Those mods have been shown to work, more than once, on this website and still have $200+ left over. The Scan Gauge can move from car to car and the pizza pans/grill block can be very inexpensive. The $300-500 tuner will be good for one car at a time (Most are good for one VIN number at a time). Some can only be used on one kind of car.

Again, if you want to get a tuner, go for it. But as I've said, don't expect a quick turn around on your investment.