View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It's not impossible- the 50's and 60's were all about long and low. What goes around, comes around.
As I recall, the 50s and 60s were all about "longer, lower, wider!" and Dinah Shore singing about seeing the USA from your Chevrolet. What the 50s and 60s - and a great many other decades - were really about was planned obsolescence.

I can't think of many things more wasteful than a new car, especially when the old one is still working. What if we could make the essential upgrades for improved efficiency on our existing rides?

This is a mindset already in existence in some motoring circles. Honda fans will change engines faster than I change socks. VW aircooled enthusiasts can drop an engine out of a car in under an hour and have it back in in less than two. Knowing that contemporarily respectable numbers can be had from an otherwise stock VW with just a chassis tune and a new, purpose-built engine, why not avoid all the extra waste of a completely new car?

This is the part of the argument where everyone starts yelling about safety again. And again I tell you, you're going to die. If people weren't so reliant on built-in safety measures, maybe there'd be much more careful driving.

If you really want people to avoid rear-end collisions, install a six-inch spike to the center of the steering wheel. Following distances will increase dramatically.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-28-2014)