View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
mikeyjd
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoyoda View Post
I thought about this last night.

I figured if you remove the current radiator and installed a smaller one, then completely removed the coolant thermostat from the cooling line. Then installed a cooling fan on the radiator, then the fan could act as a thermostat of sorts, and the engine would get up to operating temperature and stay there for longer and the limiter would be the electric cooling fan.

This way you could do a much more substantial partial grille block having only say a hole the size of a 12 inch laserdisc to open up.

Could even, depending upon the amount of space in the engine bay, do a slant-downwards radiator, which picks up air from underneath the front bumper and grille.

Then with one of these:
12V Thermostat Temperature Controller LCD W Regulator Sensor Control Incubate | eBay

In control of a "lip" which opens up and lets fresh air into the engine bay from underneath the front bumper bar, and closes when no longer needed. Controlled by a

Obviously some aluminium cowling to direct airflow into the radiator would be required, from underneath the front bumper.

Another idea Is to use water mist cooling to spray (using windscreen wiper sprays) onto the radiator and having a complete radiator grille block installed, the water evaporates (make sure it doesn't get onto the engine block or manifold!) and removes any heat from the engine.

Controlled by the same above 12v thermostat.

There would need to be a level gauge telling you when you gotta refill with water. I suggest installing a large water container in the boot of your car, possibly 40 liters in size.

Obviously a large amount of on-board water would be required at all times.
Why not just use a block heater? If anything I'd take it the other way and do a larger radiator or add an oil cooler if possible. This may allow for a full grill block even during summer heat.