View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #37 (permalink)
benphyr
EcoModding Lurker

Asphault Camo - retired - '05 Honda Civic SE
90 day: 35.81 mpg (US)

Asphault Camo Kid hauler - '98 Honda Odyssey LX
90 day: 24.33 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benphyr View Post
Daydream: Fast forward a couple years...

Buy a used Micra -Cheaper initial cost
Swap in a Mirage 1.2L engine -smaller, lighter weight?, more fuel economical than what came in Micra
While swapping either keep Micra manual transmission -has to be better ratio than Mirage OR
Final gear swap in Mirage transmission to-improve ratio
Start aeromodding-rad blocks because of ease, boat tail to compensate for hatchback shape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Actually the Mirage is over 200 lbs lighter AND more areodynamic from the factory (0.28 vs 0.315) similar frontal areas too.

The Micra's advantage is price, price, price. (Oh and powaaaaaah!)
Metro,

For clarification, I guess the target of my daydream was taking advantage of the price, price, price!

To paint it from a different angle, in a few years, both Micra and Mirage will be available used and some (unfortunately) will be in the wreckers for parts . With those assumptions one could purchase a used Micra, get a 1.2L Mirage engine from a wrecker and put it in the Micra, and do the aeromodding oneself and end up with a vehicle that has the best of both worlds, or at least the best within budget. Lighter than stock Micra (engine weight), has the most fuel economical engine from the Mirage, has better gearing, and get to play with the aeromodding oneself.

It is all a dream - I can't see myself doing any swapping, but I think it a ridiculous waste to plunk bigger than necessary engines into everything. Especially, "econobox"es or sub-compacts. Just think what the name means! At least Micra is comparatively small in physical dimensions, weight, frontal area, fuel cost, price, etc. in the car world.

Thanks for prodding my daydream. It needed some exercise to focus my thoughts.

Cheers,

Benphyr.