View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #35 (permalink)
newtonsfirstlaw
EcoModding Apprentice

The Mighty Mira - '92 Daihatsu Mira
90 day: 61.32 mpg (US)
Don,

I appreciate your civility. I came from a political bent very much like your own at one time. And I certainly understand survivalism, providing for myself and family is a major motivation for fuel economy.

It's not only myself I care about. I care about my kids, their kids and so on. I'd expect that you would be the same. And like it or not, there is exponential growth of people and, if not a finite amount of hydrocarbon fuel, certainly there is a cap to the rate at which such fuels regenerate, even if you subscribe to the abiotic theory of oil.

Basically oil will run out at some stage, and I would like my children to have some of the benefits of it, or at least be able to adapt slowly to life without oil instead of all at once.

Everyone has a point at which they start to worry about survival, and how they view common resources. If you were at a large freshwater dam, you would probably not have a problem with a bunch of kids horsing around with supersoakers. Your attitude about the right of people to do what they like with water would most probably change if you were stuck in an arid desert at a small watering hole sharing it with a bunch of kids horsing around with supersoakers.

Everyone has a point at which they become aware of scarcity of shared resources, and mostly it lies somewhere between those two extremes. I used to laugh at hybrid drivers and bicycling fanatics. I used to think only in terms of accelerating to 100kph and quarter mile times. I don't anymore. If I want to have those experiences, I will live vicariously through driving in Grand Theft Auto or some such.
Quote:
Are you ecomodding for you OWN gain, or for everyone elses?
I'm doing it for my OWN gain, and the gain of my own children and grandchildren. Irrespective of whether other people perceive being efficient with resources as a gain or not, their actions in consuming resources at a high rate WILL impinge upon the lives of my descendants in a negative way.

Last edited by newtonsfirstlaw; 01-04-2008 at 10:55 PM..