View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
EPA rated vs. real world testing.

Also I prefer averaging a test change over a few fill ups to looking at an instant readout which can be misleading at times. Works great if you drive on flat lands all the time but in real world driving, the lugging on hills or the downshift kills most gains for a net average of about the same.

I did all the real world mileage testing years ago. If fact I'll bet you are using some of my info when looking into tranmission gearing options.

"D" tranny guru.
Well thanks for your interest in this forum. There are a lot of people on this site with decades of mechanical and/or engineering experience. Some amazing professional aero people. I'm just a devoted hobbyist. But I can tell you that I observe mpg improvements on my gauges while climbing high, long hills. At 1500-2200 rpms at 80% engine load, my 5th gear will show 30-32 mpg and my 4thgear will show 25-27 mpg (at the same speeds). These are observations I make everyday, precisely, because that's how to hypermile for the 60+mpg tank-to-tank averages I've been reaching for a couple years now. A key idea is where you are on that BSFC chart.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-11-2014), Gasoline Fumes (03-10-2014), turbothrush (03-10-2014)