View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I'd like to know too...

With the latest barrage of cold Weather, it became an overly simple observation that we all know. It takes energy to make energy. In this case, fuel into heat.

I'm still testing and experimenting with this idea. Clearly, the EBH is the way to get it done quickly. But what about without a plug?

Would it be beneficial to perform WOT acceleration (with an RPM limit) to dump some fuel at a rapid rate? Since it's probably in open-loop anyway, boosting heat production while in this already-inefficient state could generate enough heat to get to closed loop sooner and into the most efficient mode of operation.

The question as always, would this practice use-up too much fuel as opposed to a slower warm up? Also, those with automatics are at the mercy of their gear selectors -- in my case I can force 2nd gear start, try WOT up to 3K and get a blast of heat. Closed loops follows, and we're into standard hypermiling configuration.

Consumption over a course needs testing. Problem: varying temps and wind speeds from day to day are a problem here -- you need a fully cold-soak start to test, which could mean 2 consecutive mornings or a morning and night-time test. Has anyone tried something similar?

RH77

_
_