View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Before the accuser ever posted on this forum , in fact years ago I posted about methods of regulating the radiator outflow coolant temperature. This temperature can change byas much as 100 degrees depending on ambient temperature.

The radiator is sized for maximum capacity, hot summer temps, AC on, climbing an8% grade for say ten miles with maximum passenger load.

When its freezing outside and especially at lower temperatures with good airflow over the radiator the radiator capacity is probably 3 times what is needed. In some especially cold places you would need only the heater core to keep the engine cool.

After blocking the lower radiator in my Fiesta, the mileage increase was equal to driving in ambient temperatures 40 degrees warmer than were present. The foam pipe insulation I used cost 92 cents each and it took 3 with about 40% waste, probably could have used 2 if I wanted splices. All it took was vertical slits to fit over the vertical supports on the otherwise horizontal grille louvres.

That was two months ago at least a month before the person who is screaming thief ever made a single post on this forum at least under their present user name.

The coolant recovery bottle level was an inspiration I think. I guess someone could spend months doing a patent search including the complete internet to see if their was someone who came up with this idea previously. I posted it here knowing full well it eliminated any possibility of a patent being issued.

I think and the evidence supports this thinking, that if you can control the temperature of the coolant exiting the radiator you could see a significant gain in mileage, probably 5% or more depending on how cold it is outside.

I was looking at the pipe insulation in my Fiesta grille and another inspiration came to me. Use a bicycle tube instead of the pipe insulation and make them inflatable to control the amount of air flow you want to block.

Been a member here for 4 years now or close I have developed, with or without other imputs, a practical inexpensive means of controlling the outflow exit temperature.

I do not remember reading any post about using bicycle tubes or using the level of recovery bottle coolant to control the AVERAGE temperature of the cooling system, which resolves the issue with coolant exit temperature.

It would not surprize me a bit that some other person or manufacturer has not thought of this before me, maybe they even got a patent on it, but as far as me stealing this idea from anyone here DAOX has it right. Post it here with out prior protection and if it is a good idea shouldn't you expect it to be borrowed (stolen in a wackadoodles mind).

Read my slow progress thread. Christ was considerate enough to ask if he could copy my design, to which I replied feel free to copy anything I post here, but thanks for asking.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 03-11-2014 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: stupid space bar on cpu getting lazy
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Mista Bone (03-12-2014)