View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Me
Didn’t mean to get this much of a response. I’ll try to address as many comments as possible

One technique that I use to get good gas mileage on the freeway is speed up to 70mph, then shift to neutral and coast down to 60mph, then speed up to 70 and coast down to 60. I am still averaging 65mph. This is more efficient than steady state cruising at 65mph. The reasoning is that (per torque app), Steady state cruising at 65mph, I am using approximately 1.5gallons/hour. When I do my speed/neutral technique, the rate of gas flow is approx. 2.5 gallons/hr of gas for 5 seconds for when I speed up to 70 in s#, then when I shift to neutral, the car is essentially idling and I only use 0.31gallon/hour for 15 seconds. Therefore, in that 20 second span, I average less fuel useage due to the aero mods allow me to coast longer thus using less gas. I get the most gain on long downhills when I can coast for approx. 1 mile with only using 0.31gallons/hr. Coasting in gear with this technique is not beneficial because it scrubs off speed too quickly, therefore, I do not coast as long.

I will use DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off… coasting in gear) when I am approaching a stop light because dfco while in gear scrubs off speed faster. Or if im going down a really steep hill, I’ll dfco in gear to maintain a safe speed while still using 0.0gallons/hour. The other trick here is to try to time my approach so that the light will turn green again so that I can just easily accelerate through. Accelerating from a full stop uses more gas.

Yes I understand and Sti is a sports car and that if I wanted good gas mileage, I should’ve bought a prius. However, last time I checked, the prius does not have a 6 speed manual and AWD. I want my car to be the best of both worlds, fun when I want it and efficient when I need it.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html