View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I'm rv'er w/ 24' Class C motorhome on Ford E450 chassis. I have experience with other RVs.

I'd say the RV side of the equation is most viable if the plan is for free or low cost overnights. Especially if you don't move everyday-or plan on few miles per day. In southern CA, the cost of a Motel 6 room is often cheaper or about the same as a commercial RV park. State parks in CA. are generally $30. plus per night. The cheaper camping options are some Federal/State/Local campgrounds, RV parks on discount plans like Passport America, boondocking in remote areas, or overnighting in Walmart or other businesses. The more "resorty" or upscale the area, the harder these free/cheap options are to find in general.

My V10 powered motorhome averages about 8.8 MPG and at best will cruise at 60 MPH at 10 MPG (flat road no wind). Very conservative driving.

One very reasonable camping option is the small fiberglass trailers made by Scamp or Casita. I can give a data point for a 13' Scamp, equipped with roof AC and propane heat. They have small stove, a comfy bed, and not a lot more. I towed it with a 2004 4 cylinder Camry and got in the 22-25 MPG range at speed of 60 MPH. It towed easily on flat in top gear and the rig handled well. Some cars still will tow the requisite 1500-2K pounds check specs.

Hotel-ling it offers a lot of plus factors. There are often good deals available online. You can drive 50+ MPG vehicle, great if you are covering great distances per day. You can still eat numerous meals out of ice chest, not expensive restaurant fare. And you have less overhead to take care of and buy.
It is hard if not impossible to overcome the advantage of in-situ facilities by being mobile. Fuel cost is not just diesel or gasoline, but propane as well. Etc. The up-front cost is where any savings are great. The on-road expenditures are more about planning than anything else.