Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
I still think stealth is the way to go. There aren't many free places to "camp" but a normal looking minivan with normal registration can sit just about anywhere for free for 24 he's at a time, some places much longer. Any travel trailer or actual RV will get a knock on the door from the sheriff, ranger, highway patrol, etc. Most rv parks will cost more then food everyday. It's great if you are as said above, working in the oil fields with lots of money and little free time to mess around like you said with ice and comfort. Or if you don't want to actually travel around the country then getting 10mpg towing or driving a rv may be OK. I get the picture in this case the person wants to travel around, see the country, while still getting some work done but not with the kind of money a normal retired person doing this has. My father and step mom lived like this in a Dodge tradesman van on the Oregon coast in the early 80s just collecting 5 cent cans and bottles (those went pretty far back then). Mo's clam chouder on a beach fire, million dollar views every morning and night, no boss, few worries.
He then went back to normal employment, then bought his own business, and now is probably the wealthiest person I know. Still pretty frugal in his life but surprised me a few months back saying he was thinking of spending almost 100g on a classic vette he has always wanted. He also still has travel adventures but stays at the Econolodge.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
tpi
EcoModding Lurker

I'm rv'er w/ 24' Class C motorhome on Ford E450 chassis. I have experience with other RVs.

I'd say the RV side of the equation is most viable if the plan is for free or low cost overnights. Especially if you don't move everyday-or plan on few miles per day. In southern CA, the cost of a Motel 6 room is often cheaper or about the same as a commercial RV park. State parks in CA. are generally $30. plus per night. The cheaper camping options are some Federal/State/Local campgrounds, RV parks on discount plans like Passport America, boondocking in remote areas, or overnighting in Walmart or other businesses. The more "resorty" or upscale the area, the harder these free/cheap options are to find in general.

My V10 powered motorhome averages about 8.8 MPG and at best will cruise at 60 MPH at 10 MPG (flat road no wind). Very conservative driving.

One very reasonable camping option is the small fiberglass trailers made by Scamp or Casita. I can give a data point for a 13' Scamp, equipped with roof AC and propane heat. They have small stove, a comfy bed, and not a lot more. I towed it with a 2004 4 cylinder Camry and got in the 22-25 MPG range at speed of 60 MPH. It towed easily on flat in top gear and the rig handled well. Some cars still will tow the requisite 1500-2K pounds check specs.

Hotel-ling it offers a lot of plus factors. There are often good deals available online. You can drive 50+ MPG vehicle, great if you are covering great distances per day. You can still eat numerous meals out of ice chest, not expensive restaurant fare. And you have less overhead to take care of and buy.

Last edited by tpi; 03-14-2014 at 09:55 PM..
Old 03-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Get a school bus and run a PTO under the radiator to power a wood chipper and a blower. The blower fills collapsible hoppers on the roof and the engine is converted to run (after starting on gas) on wood gas, produced by pyrolysis. The byproduct can be mixed with compost tea to make biochar.

Then when tree branches blow down, you can chip them up and have a wind powered vehicle.

Or have a wood alcohol still for 'starting fluid.'
Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I'm rv'er w/ 24' Class C motorhome on Ford E450 chassis. I have experience with other RVs.

I'd say the RV side of the equation is most viable if the plan is for free or low cost overnights. Especially if you don't move everyday-or plan on few miles per day. In southern CA, the cost of a Motel 6 room is often cheaper or about the same as a commercial RV park. State parks in CA. are generally $30. plus per night. The cheaper camping options are some Federal/State/Local campgrounds, RV parks on discount plans like Passport America, boondocking in remote areas, or overnighting in Walmart or other businesses. The more "resorty" or upscale the area, the harder these free/cheap options are to find in general.

My V10 powered motorhome averages about 8.8 MPG and at best will cruise at 60 MPH at 10 MPG (flat road no wind). Very conservative driving.

One very reasonable camping option is the small fiberglass trailers made by Scamp or Casita. I can give a data point for a 13' Scamp, equipped with roof AC and propane heat. They have small stove, a comfy bed, and not a lot more. I towed it with a 2004 4 cylinder Camry and got in the 22-25 MPG range at speed of 60 MPH. It towed easily on flat in top gear and the rig handled well. Some cars still will tow the requisite 1500-2K pounds check specs.

Hotel-ling it offers a lot of plus factors. There are often good deals available online. You can drive 50+ MPG vehicle, great if you are covering great distances per day. You can still eat numerous meals out of ice chest, not expensive restaurant fare. And you have less overhead to take care of and buy.
It is hard if not impossible to overcome the advantage of in-situ facilities by being mobile. Fuel cost is not just diesel or gasoline, but propane as well. Etc. The up-front cost is where any savings are great. The on-road expenditures are more about planning than anything else.

Reply  Post New Thread