View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
First Never did I imply that a grill block is a bad thing!..............
.................Mad no not really just tired of the jabs when attempting to help others.
I dont care for drama, or arguements so will refrain completly from further such posts.
To read some responses you would think Id said that grill blocks were a silly stupid waste of time.
Good on you for posting, and don't let the drama bother you, people just get wound up on things, but the truth eventually seeps out
So keep posting and questionioning.

Personally I never found any significant benefit from grill blocks persay, but I do agree with the principle and as suggested by the OP if it's not done properly may well result in a loss rather than a gain.

Just like most of the other aero mods, there is no guarantee that a grill block will always provide a benefit, so getting a deeper understanding of the principles will increase probability of a gain.

IMO for a proper grille block setup the first thing to do is seal all the holes around the radiator so that the only way for air to enter engine bay is through radiator, the actual blocking of the %grille opening is the last part of the job.

For the same airflow rate through radiator, the electric fan will always be less efficient than forward movement because of additional conversion losses.