View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Davo53209@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

$4,000 to Remanufacture a VX Engine?!?

Recently I'd asked what everyone thought about taking my 94 Civic VX to the local speed shop to have my engine completely remanufactured to OEM specs.

I've spoken with two local shops that specialize in Hondas; but one shop is asking $3,000 for just the labor alone while the other shop is asking $4000 for both labor and parts, plus accessory components if required. They did however ask if I was pulling out and installing the engine, so that may make the difference in the price.

In lieu of all of that, I'm considering other options. For example, has anyone ever heard of OE Engines Direct? OE Engines Direct - Remanufactured Engines for Mechanics and Automotive Professionals. They claim to provide better service than Jasper Engines in addition to sending out their work to professional shops throughout the country. They quoted me roughly $2100 to remanufacture my engine to OEM specs, plus a 12,000 mile warranty. I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks of them.

http://oeenginesdirect.com/

The other option provide to me by a local mechanic was to have the cylinder bores cleaned,the piston rings replaced, the the head worked on and to get a valve job. However; an engine building instructor at the local technical college once said to me that completely remanufacturing the engine is the only way to go.....that too, I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.