View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
pgfpro
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Do a leakdown test to check the check ring condition. I would never hone and re-ring and engine that had any ridge at the top of the cylinders. You will break the rings and destroy the rebuild. I had a piston on my shop counter that had broken a ring and burned a groove down the side of the piston to the oil control ring.

Cylinder walls don't wear evenly and if they are not bored parallel the rings will expand and contract as they ride up and down the bores taper. If you tear it down and the ring end gap is still in specs and there is no ridge at the top, then you didn't need to tear it down, unless the rings got gummed up and stopped sealing properly. In that case I have seen some good techs just clean everything up and put it back together and it worked fine with no measureable oil consumption. Very rarely you see that happen.

regards
Mech
To clarify my post if you have a ridge at the top of the bore your cylinder bore taper is going to be through the roof. Known fact!!! I have rebuilt a ton of Honda engines and only have seen a handful that had a ridge? All the ones with the ridge I would throw away and I would get a different block. There's not to much meat on a Honda stock sleeve.
Example:
My sons stock 350,000 miles engine (no ridge) that we rebuilt over 5 years ago and ran 11.0x @ 134mph 1/4 mile, on stock pistons and new rings with just de-glazed bores and new rod bearings. Burns no oil, but brakes a lot of transmissions.

Back in the 80's when we were rebuilding muscle car engine's we would use a bore ridge reamer tool to take out the ridge. Not the best way of doing things, but it was a down and dirty inexpensive way to do a rebuild. I never seen a broken ring from not boring a block after the ridge was taken out??? Sounds like someone doesn't have a clue what their doing? Or most likely broke the ring during installing?

On the VX Honda engines with high mileage I have seen a lot of piston rings gummed up do to the EGR, that we nick named "early gum rebuild" valve, in combination with the oil separator "black box" under the intake.

Anyway a leak down and compression test are a must in your case. If both test are good and you are burning oil the oil rings are gummed up and not working. Gummed up oil rings will not show up with a leak-down and compression test.

Last edited by pgfpro; 03-23-2014 at 08:04 PM..