View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
To clarify my post if you have a ridge at the top of the bore your cylinder bore taper is going to be through the roof. Known fact!!! I have rebuilt a ton of Honda engines and only have seen a handful that had a ridge? All the ones with the ridge I would throw away and I would get a different block. There's not to much meat on a Honda stock sleeve.
Example:
My sons stock 350,000 miles engine (no ridge) that we rebuilt over 5 years ago and ran 11.0x @ 134mph 1/4 mile, on stock pistons and new rings with just de-glazed bores and new rod bearings. Burns no oil, but brakes a lot of transmissions.

Back in the 80's when we were rebuilding muscle car engine's we would use a bore ridge reamer tool to take out the ridge. Not the best way of doing things, but it was a down and dirty inexpensive way to do a rebuild. I never seen a broken ring from not boring a block after the ridge was taken out??? Sounds like someone doesn't have a clue what their doing? Or most likely broke the ring during installing?

On the VX Honda engines with high mileage I have seen a lot of piston rings gummed up do to the EGR, that we nick named "early gum rebuild" valve, in combination with the oil separator "black box" under the intake.

Anyway a leak down and compression test are a must in your case. If both test are good and you are burning oil the oil rings are gummed up and not working. Gummed up oil rings will not show up with a leak-down and compression test.
"Sounds like someone doesn't have a clue what they are doing. Or most likely broke the ring during installation".

Gramatically incorrect, and character assasination. Violation of forum rules.

I generally avoid degrading myself by even answering statements that attempt to attack my knowledge and experience. It's a common form of propaganda called "killing the messenger".

You can read my full response on your "Talon" thread. The one where you freely admit my advice against making public statements that prove emissions violations apparently were taken seriously by yourself. You apparently considered that advice to be important enough to have posts and threads deleted on this board, then come back here with this statement.

Mech