View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Sorry for my confusion. I've been coasting with the engine on to this point, and lose the 2 mph when going back to 5th gear. I've not used bump starting on trips yet due to the car not coasting very far, but will try it on the return trip tomorrow. I presumed that going back into gear shouldn't lose the 2 mph either way and even less so when the engine's already on. In any case, the previous answers should be helpful either way.

Okay, I will do that, thanks very much.

I learned on a stick shift long ago, and never had this trouble before.
That's what i figured, because you should not lose speed by bump starting...assuming your engine is OFF while you are bump starting.

There is no point in bump starting if the engine is already running

Bump starting allows you to turn the engine on again without using the starter/ignition...thus saving excessive wear on the starter.

The reason you feel friction with the engine on/pop clutch in 5th is because both engine AND transmission are spinning at different rates. When you pop the clutch, both are causing friction against each other, thus you lose too much speed.

If you bump start the car with the engine OFF, you are simply using the transmission to turn the engine over (instead of having the starter turn the engine over), thus there is less friction, thus you lose less speed.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (03-24-2014)